My dilemma...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should GED take the new job or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As someone who's been self-employed my entire working career, and never had a "benefit" I didn't pay for....you're out of your fawking mind if you give up health and retirement benefits for an extra $500 a month.

Unless you would love the new job and hate your current job. That would change everything, because if you'd be much happier at this new gig on a daily basis...that's worth a good bit in my book. But solely to trade benefits for $500 cash? Fawk that. JMO.

What he said.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you are filling my Dads' old position with them. :thumb: He left them not long ago. Or, not taking it. Now that I read further on! LOL

It's not a true "Contract" position. They want you to believe that. It's really just a way for them to avoid granting benefits. They laid off my Dad after he was blinded (in one eye) in a cataracts surgery gone bad. Ugh!

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to agree. It's not enough money to justify the price of gas (which isn't going to do anything but go up in price), the wear and tear on you, the car and the wife. The extra money you get will probably be spent in just gas alone.

okiemaggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just thinking about you and that job the other day. I wondered if you had ever gotten the call. I can see why they've had no takers, making you a contractor unless you're on the premises. $500 won't even begin to pay for your expenses but it sure will make the IRS happy.

Currently, I pay about $800/month to cobra the health insurance I was provided as the spouse of a retiree. The cost of health insurance is no joke and it's going to get even unfunnier as more of Obamacare kicks in. Eventually, I will have to find less expensive insurance. But even with a $4000 deductible expect to pay $400/mo for a single policy and $600-$700 for a family plan. Benefits are worth their weight in gold anymore. Anyway, that's my story. Good luck GED!

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with most everyone else. You've got benefits, retirement, etc. It's not worth an extra 500 a month. I would stay where you're at.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Well, you made the decision now, but I had to make a very similar decision while I was job hunting after college. One place that offered me a job offered $5k+ / yr over what I had figured I needed. But after doing some math, it turned out to be less after paying my own medical and retirement. And that was for a young couple fresh out of college. If you still have kids at home, and aren't 25 (lol!), I don't think there's any way it could be worth just $500/mo for medical and retirement. Also, have you checked rent lately!?!?! You'd probably be out the $500 just with rent and utilities. Not to mention more food, and still having extra gas cost to drive home on the weekends.

Latest posts

Top Bottom