My dilemma...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should GED take the new job or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you'll be paid like a contractor, with a 1099MISC at year end.

Come tax time you'll be bent over and forked....

ETA: after reading the rest of the thread I see this was brought up.

Jujen Kai

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My biggest concern has always been what will happen while en route to my job. Statistics tell me I'm in more danger on my drive. Once at work, you're pretty much good to go, but an hour-plus on the road (and as has been pointed out, part of the year that will be on ICE) leads to a lot of chances for Mr. Murphy to come say hi. Suppose you have a decent crash. Without insurance, you'd wind up taking on all your repair bills (both vehicle and YOU) out of your pocket.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why are we bringing health insurance benefits into this equation? I thought Obama already took care of that for all of us. Just sayin ;-D

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to say take the job until I read your whole post. The commute would kill it for me. I wouldnt do the time away from family, and if you want to waste an hour and half extra 2 times a day. I bet you could find something to do locally for extra income and even at $7/hr that would be $460 more per month just for the time you would be sitting in the car, not counting what you would be paying for the car, gas, etc.

So there is no way I would take that job. Not without benefits, not for that money and not away from home.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those long commutes are for kids.

It is sad that there are some people in the large mega-plex areas like Los Angeles , Washington DC, Atlanta or Dallas/ Ft. Worth don't think anything about spending 3 hours in traffic one way getting to & from work.. and they may be only traveling 20 miles.. but the rush hour traffic is bumper to bumper & stop and go every day.

I did that for a while.. and that was driving on a highway with 6 lanes in each direction. You get any where near a multi-car pile up and you might be sitting there waiting for it to be cleard for hours. People would be Peeing on the side of the road next to their cars and running out of gas. And in Icy weather, your totally screwed. I remember one time I only had a 12 mile drive.. and due to snowy weather it took me 4 1/2 hours to get home. After that I just took my clothes and slept at work for a several days.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well it sounds like you need to find a job with benefits if your present gig is getting old, which they all do over time.

The job sounds like it would be easy and less risk on the plus side with weekends off which would be great.

The real problem here would be you and the Mrs. couldn't get insurance for that $500 a month extra unless she's employed and you can get on her insurance.

The other issue is travel time and gas. I commute about 75 miles a day round trip and go though 100 bucks of gas a week so it sounds like your going to be spending most of that money on gas and will have to come up with the $$$ keeping up the car. I love where I live but I hate when there's ice and snow it makes for interesting times.

I think just by asking this question you already know the answer. If you have bigger dreams than go for them, this might not be the path or maybe it is if you can get into the system a few years and get the job of your dreams. The 500 bucks a month won't be enough to make it worth your trouble unless you see other opportunities when you get in IMO.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you'll be paid like a contractor, with a 1099MISC at year end.

Come tax time you'll be bent over and forked....

ETA: after reading the rest of the thread I see this was brought up.

I didn't even think of that part of the equation, but yea. I bet you're right. That would totally suuuuuuuuuck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom