My new 223 WSSM!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked this up today for my wife and/or son to use this deer season. I hadn't really heard anything about them but I have looked up some ballistics on the 243 WSSM and was pretty impressed. When I got home I looked up the ballistics up on this one and it said to be the the fastest commercial 22 caliber centerfire cartridge on planet earth. http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.223-wssm.html
But after reading all of it I'm not so sure about deer hunting with it. Does anyone else have this caliber and have you used it for deer or what is it's primary purpose for you?
Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to shoot this thing. Oh it's a Browning A-Bolt with a Simmons AETEC 2.5-10-44mm scope.

ai641.photobucket.com_albums_uu135_jmiller556_Browning.jpg

ai641.photobucket.com_albums_uu135_jmiller556_browning2.jpg

ai641.photobucket.com_albums_uu135_jmiller556_browning3.jpg

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my less than humble opinion, nothing in .22 caliber is an optimal deer hunting cartridge. Yes, people use them every season to kill deer, but there's better options out there. I wouldv'e got the .243 WSSM over the .223 without a second thought for deer hunting.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking but I got a pretty good deal on this and didn't a have a choice. If I would have I would have opted for the .243wssm.

azmrb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you have to use a .22 at least pick a proper bullet for the job.

A heavy bullet constructed to mushroom but stay intact instead of disintegrating like varmit rounds do.

And shot placement will be critical.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My bro has a Winchester Coyote in .223 WSSM, but its strictly a varmint gun. Its not as accurate as the .22-250s or .223s that we have, and its a pain in the ass to reload for.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well crap, < buyers remorse starting to set in.

nah I can always find something better for them to shoot. I just thought since it would be low recoil my 9 year old could shoot it.

Matt N.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please post pics when you shoot it. I had one, for a few hours; buyers remorse set in on me too; I took mine back and traded it for a 22-250 and could not be happier. Please post pics and keep us updated when you shoot it. BTW, I think a .243 would fulfill those deer rifle needs you mentioned. The .243 is the smallest rifle I consider a deer rifle. Interestingly none of the deer I shot with the .243 left much of a blood trail(never found blood), fortunately they did not go far. I suspect a deer shot with a .22 caliber would leave even less of a blood trail.

SERE Guy

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some states mandate 6mm (.243) as the minumum caliber for deer, I tend to agree with that. At 100-150yds, a 60+ grain bullet would be fine...if it was designed specifically for penetration, not fragmentation. But the temptation of that buck at 250 yards and the fact that just about every factory round is for maximum fragmentation on varmint, that's a recipe for disaster.
"Fastest .22 on planet Earth" Be careful with that. 4,000+fps is hard on barrels. .220 Swift and the .22/06 wildcat suffer from substantial chamber erosion in as little at 1000-1200 rds.
I shot out a .243 barrel in one month shooting prairie dogs with 55gr handloads.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had both the 223 and 243 WSSM's there both fast and both did a fine job on "small" deer. I did not fined either hard to load. You do have to watch it when you are seating bullets though.

For the 223( any of em) and deer I'd go with a Barnes TSX 62gr or 70gr if you gun will shoot them well, from there maybe the 70gr Swift Scirocco Or the Aframe, or the Speer trophy bonded bear claw.

There are other bullets out there but I'd stick with one of these.
Good luck to ya... let us know how it works out.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got some .223WSSM ammo by accident. It is one of the Winchester supreme ballistic tip flavors. I've got 2 boxes and if you want I'd trade you strait across for similar Winchester supreme in 25WSSM.

Here's my A-Bolt Medallion in 25WSSM. I love the super short mags. The 25 loads just as easy as any other rifle round I've made.

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Guns_20and_20Related_Rifles_8a7b9ea0.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom