My new 223 WSSM!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you tell which bullet is the .243 wssm and which one is the .223wssm?

ai641.photobucket.com_albums_uu135_jmiller556_bullets.jpg

ai641.photobucket.com_albums_uu135_jmiller556_bullets2.jpg

As some of you might have seen, I decided to buy a .243wssm for my boy to use, but I didn't get the right one for him. It was a little too heavy for the little guy! He likes the Browning a lot more. So that's what we're gonna try this year unless I can find him the same gun in .243wssm. Here's a pic of the Winchester in case you hadn't seen it in the classifieds.

ai641.photobucket.com_albums_uu135_jmiller556_coyote243wssm.jpg

man of many calibers

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always liked the short mags, but price of ammo has always kept me from straying from the normal .223 and 243. I don't persoanly use my .223 for deer, but I guess I could if the conditions were perfect. I know there are lots of people that do use .223 on deer, but I prefer to have a little extra gun.

Either way..It is a nice gun.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once you shoot a few boxes it is just as cheap to reload it as the others. I found a pretty good deal on some 25 wssm new unprimed brass and I picked up 200 pieces to go along with the 60 I had from shooting factory and the 40 I got once fired with my dies on gun broker. I figure with 340 pieces of brass I should be able to shoot mine forever. Especially if the ammo never goes away like the factory chamberings did.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I guess I can tell which shells are what. In order from left to right is a .243 100gr slvr ballistic stip, .223 64gr, then another .243 96gr. They are all almost identical.

Does anyone know what the heaviest .223 wssm bullet you can get is??

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
looks like a 70gr soft point from speer is the heaviest.

Thank you Sir! I called my friend and that's what he said his manual said also. I have 2 1/2 boxes left of 64gr cpx I beliveve that's what it is. I shot it about 10 time or so, just at 50 yards today and they were in about 1" group. Not too bad. I didn't have time to go to the 100 yard range, I had to let the kids shoot the 22's.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have and shoot deer with a .243WSSM
With a 55 gr bullet it exceeds 4000 fps.
I don't see why a .223 can't be a viable round for a deer with a good bullet.
The .223fmj, 55 grain at 2500 fps has taken hundreds of thousands of human lives if not into the millions.
any bullet that shoots into the 4000 fps will have no problem with taking deer making sure that a good hunting bullet, and proper shot placement.

I've taken lots of deer with a .222-250 in a 55 gr bullet. It stops them as fast as my 30-06.

We all have to remember that smaller rounds take a better shot placment.
They will be just as effective in my opinion.

I'll be using my Remington AR in .223 this year for deer hunting, I'll let you know how it turns outs.

jroberts1968

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well crap, < buyers remorse starting to set in.

nah I can always find something better for them to shoot. I just thought since it would be low recoil my 9 year old could shoot it.

Enjoy it dont let that remorse in there. That is pretty. I don't own a single bolt action now and mis it. Deer hunting in TX cost to much hogs are free though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom