My New Chevy (compnany) pick up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me say, I have a good job, working for people I enjoy working around with some of the best hands in the oilfield. I make a lot of money and don't (and am not expected to) do a lot of real work. Yup, I get paid for what I know.

Part of my compensation is a company vehicle, filled up and maintained with company money. So whatever they pay for, I'm happy to drive.

It's bright red (my choice), the interior is black (not what I chose, but it looks good, right up until I get in with caliche on my shoes).
It runs good.
It drives good.
I like the instrument cluster, except the compass. I can't see it when I'm driving, but hey if I'm between the bar ditches I'm headed the right direction.
The interior lights are great.
It's a club cab (or whatever) and it has the 4 doors , that's excellent.
Now let's see..........
The seat covers look like they were stolen from a Yugo, cheesey looking, I'm sure the leather is nicer, but so is the cloth in the Fords.
The console, you could fit a box of cigars in it, as long as they were out of the box, and short and thin, it's too short for a normal map. It does have 2 usb ports, a 12 volt outlet and a slot for an sd card, as long as you don't put anything else in there. The Ford had a console I could smuggle tactical nukes in. It also had a built in holder for change, credit cards and/or calling cards.
It has a two door glove compartment which is great as long as you don't mind what ever you put in the top falling out in the floor.
It has one compartment in the dash that will hold absolutely nothing useful, except may be half a pack of filterless Luckys.
It also has a slot in the dash, above the light switch and below that compartment, that Chevrolet doesn't even know is there (according to the local dealer).
The outside mirrors, wow, what nitwit decided to chop that lower inside corner off? Oh well the top is still useful to watch out for drones.
The back seat is excellent, if you are a Hobbit or a small child. I think when you fold it up there is actually less room in the back. The Ford would fold up in two pieces, you could leave one down and still fold the other up, that's useful occasionally.
It does have an automatic headlight switch, the Ford didn't.
The MyLInk is awesome, except when it decides not to link. Then it just takes the phone, has no volume, no ring, no ability to call out, Chevrolet says " Delete the link on the vehicle, delete the link on the phone, turn the phone off, turn the radio off, turn the vehicle off, remove the keys, open the door for two minutes, close the door, restart the vehicle, turn the phone on, turn the radio on, re-pair them, everything will be wonderful. That didn't work. You have the little bluetooth icon, everything says they are connected, but it still doesn't work. ( I also discovered I since I no longer wear a watch and the cellphone is off I'm reduced to, one Mississippi, two Mississippi.............................. one hundred and fiddy Mississippi, I didn't want to take a chance on restarting it too soon).

Now I'm going to be just fine with driving this, but, I have to tell you, I've never been this dissappointed in a new company vehicle since I was issued a Granada.

Now you Chevy guys may think it's Chevy vs Ford deal, but it isn't. I would have actually liked to try a Dodge or Toyota, but Chevy is what gets bought. I've owned and enjoyed, Chevys, Fords, a Dodge, Plymouths, Chryslers, an AMX and even a Volkswagen (my wife's I never actually drove it, but, I enjoyed her driving it and not the GTO). So flame away. It won't phase me. And it won't change my mind. The 2009 Ford was better for what I do than the 2014 Chevy will be. But after 110,000 miles the Ford deseved a rest and it's always nice to have a new pick up someone else is paying for.

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So is it an extended cab or crew cab? Extended cab is like a cab and a half with suicide doors. It also sounds like your company picked the cheapest trim package available. Sorry to hear you are so displeased. My company even forked over the extra dough to get remote start.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So is it an extended cab or crew cab? Extended cab is like a cab and a half with suicide doors. It also sounds like your company picked the cheapest trim package available. Sorry to hear you are so displeased. My company even forked over the extra dough to get remote start.

It's actually the 4 door extended cab. The Chevys don't have the suicide doors anymore. It's not
Quite the cheapest. But the cheaper Ford package was better IMO.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked hard at a 2014 LTZ Z71. In the end the 2013 FX4 won out. I'm sure I would have had similar comments had I gone the Chevy route. There are certain design features I don't like about the Ford. However, it's kind of hard to knock on a truck that the company is paying for.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked hard at a 2014 LTZ Z71. In the end the 2013 FX4 won out. I'm sure I would have had similar comments had I gone the Chevy route. There are certain design features I don't like about the Ford. However, it's kind of hard to knock on a truck that the company is paying for.

I haven't really look too close at the Fords, they may be as bad at the fleet vehicle stage. This one just seems so poorly designed inside

And there's no way I'll quit over it. I make enough to park it at home and buy my own.

The dealer prep was pretty slipshod too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom