My New Generator Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those style interlock kits are nice and legal. Only problem is they are not offered for all panels, and you have to have 2 extra spaces in your panel. I have installed a couple of them, although I prefer to set a seperate 8 circuit gen panel either below or beside the existing panel. That eliminates the risk of someone trying to run everything in their house at the same time while running on gen power.

If my insurance would cover a custom job, I'd have a part that folded down and blocked off the breakers that I don't want to receive generator power.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If my insurance would cover a custom job, I'd have a part that folded down and blocked off the breakers that I don't want to receive generator power.

A custom type install like I described is not that expensive (at least when I do it). That style of a basic gen panel usually runs around $500. Of course you have to supply your portable generator and cord.
I can also get some very good deals on the natural gas automatic standby units.

OKC03Cobra

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found this comment on another site:

1) Interlocks can fail, allowing both sides to be closed at the same time. I've been to building fires where this was the cause. A double-throw transfer switch cannot fail with both sides closed simultaneously.

2) The interlock does not lift the neutral/ground bond in the main panel when the generator is running, as it should. (Your "main" panel becomes a "sub" panel when the generator is running.

3) The interlock does not open the ground run to the pole, allowing for the possibility of ground faults (either inbound or outbound).

4) While the author of the video stressed that a "transfer" switch limited the breakers that could be closed to generator, as he was using the term he was referring to the combined transfer-and-critical-circuits switches sold for home use with small generators (often part of smaller Generac and similar packages). However, there are transfer switches that switch the whole panel, if this feature is considered important.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...rlock-vs-Transfer-Switch-for-generator/page2?

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hobbes, tell me more about the inverter generator you mention for the pellet stove.

We have an older fireplace insert pellet stove. When I inquired about the power to run the auger and blower I was told it was 800 or 1000 watts, I forget which.

That seemed like a lot for what it is. What is the kW of the inverter generator? More details please! I'm all ears when you say 1 gallon per day!

Thanks.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also have a question about your inverter generator. Did the electrician, or you build a adaptor for it to be plugged in thru your gen power inlet box below your panel? Or is it just used for a couple of items with extension cords?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A custom type install like I described is not that expensive (at least when I do it). That style of a basic gen panel usually runs around $500. Of course you have to supply your portable generator and cord.
I can also get some very good deals on the natural gas automatic standby units.

But I only paid around $250 for my Generac 5500 back in May...

I gotta get around to putting in my new breaker box sometime... I've still got one of those Federal Pacific uberfails. I bought the box and breakers almost two years ago, just haven't had the time to change it out.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hobbes, tell me more about the inverter generator you mention for the pellet stove.
We have an older fireplace insert pellet stove. When I inquired about the power to run the auger and blower I was told it was 800 or 1000 watts, I forget which.
That seemed like a lot for what it is. What is the kW of the inverter generator? More details please! I'm all ears when you say 1 gallon per day!

Thanks.
It is this model, rated at 1600 watts
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Briggs-&-Stratton-30473-Portable-Generator/p4430.html

I can't believe your pellet stove requires that much power.
Mine is a newer quadrafire and the specs in the manual say it only uses about 200 watts to run the 2 small fans and auger servo.
It does require another 400 watts when the igniter is on to light the pellets but that's only for a few minutes and you could manually light
the pellets if you had to in an ice storm or such.
Even if it uses 800 watts continuously you would still get 5 hours run time on a gallon of gasoline.

Inverter generators work a bit differently than normal emergency generators.
The electrical generator part produces 12 VDC and the inverter creates a 60hz pure sine wave from that 12 volts.
The inverter electronics varies the speed of the generator to match the power required.
The less power used the slower the generator runs.

I also have a question about your inverter generator. Did the electrician, or you build a adaptor for it to be plugged in thru your gen power inlet box below your panel? Or is it just used for a couple of items with extension cords?

I plan to just run an extension cord through the window into the living room where the pellet stove, satellite receiver, and TV are.
It is very quiet during operation so it will be fine humming away on the back porch.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to mention about the inverter generator, there is a bonus.

They are so quiet and lightweight that they are ideal for RV use, camping, and tailgating.
Very useful and portable.

I do think the Hondas and Yamahas start a bit easier and are slightly quieter.
Probably worth the extra money if you plan to use one on a regular basis.

Latest posts

Top Bottom