My New Generator Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True Larry, but Power and Watts are equally the same. At least from whaty I learned in power Delivery classes I took a couple of semesters ago. then again I dont mess with Residential voltage, all of my stuff will be 600v+

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But I only paid around $250 for my Generac 5500 back in May...

I gotta get around to putting in my new breaker box sometime... I've still got one of those Federal Pacific uberfails. I bought the box and breakers almost two years ago, just haven't had the time to change it out.

Sounds like you got a good deal on a good generator. I dont know where Washita County is, but since it is not familair to me I am sure it is quite a ways from Owasso or I would be glad to help you out with your panel changeout. Let me know if you have any questions before starting it, I have talked several members on here thru their projects.
I kind of like those Federal Pacific and Zinsco panels, they keep me busy changing them out.

O

OkieGentleman

Just make sure the exhaust is well away from the fresh air intake of the furnace and a couple of carbon monoxide detectors would not be a bad idea. Almost helped bury some people that the wind shifted in the nite and pushed the exhaust into the furnace area. Carbon monoxide detectors saved their lives. Just my two cents worth.

JamestheJust

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
OkCobra has a good point above. When he says that the interlock kit will not open the neutral he is right. You can get voltage coming back to your panel from the neutral line overhead. I dont know how much of an issue this is though because in theory your grounded conductor (neutral) is bonded to your equipment ground at your panel or meter. The neutral is also bonded up at the pole to a ground rod driven at each power pole ( at least round here). So your unbalanced load will eventually go to ground. You won't have any more of a problem with rogue neutral current entering your house wiring when using your generator than any other time.

On the other hand what is a bit concerning is that your unbalanced load could go to the overhead lines and through the neighborhood and God forbid to a lineman working. Again, it's bonded to ground at your service but in an outage the lineman assumes that everything is dead. Ground rods are dependent upon many variables including moisture content.

A transfer switch when installed correctly should open the neutral so that the load doesn't go back to the overhead lines.

If your generator has its neutral bonded to the frame and you are using an interlock kit you should remove that bond to ground in the generator and "float" the neutral since your main panel is now a "subpanel." The reason for this is that you will get GFI's tripping because they sense an imbalance in neutral current due to being bonded twice. You shouldn't use this generator for anything else but for emergency power. If you take it camping or to work you should rebond the neutral to ground.

I am an electical contractor and if I was installing an interlock kit at my house this is how I would do it. Although as cobra said a bonafide transfer switch is the best route.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hobbes,

Cool set up. Would you share any ideas on protecting your gen while it's in use from both extreme weather and theft? Have you thought about fuel storage and refill during extreme weather? I know maintenace after so many hours with oil / oil filter change is required, have you thought about how much of these supplies you may need for a longer term power outage?

centraloklahoma

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JamestheJust:

It's true that the interkockkit does not break neutral. Neither do most transfer switches.
With most transfer switches you have to install a separate 3 pole disconnect in order to break neutral if you think that is necessary.

The Generlink transfer switch also does not break neutral.
[Broken External Image]
I know for a fact that OEC will come to your house and install one of these generlinks for you so they obviously are not concerned about the unbroken neutral.
As a matter of fact, electrical utility companies in other states actually sell these.

The reason they are unconcerned is as you stated. Neutral and ground are bonded together at the service panel by code.

centraloklahoma:

I don't have an enclosure for inclement weather though I have seen some temporary shelters made from cardboard into 3 sided shelters for light rain or snow.
In my case, I only need the big generator to run the water well and maybe the refrigerator so I don't see myself running this generator more than an hour or two per day.
I can just wait until it stops raining to wheel it out and start it up.

I don't worry about theft much because I live on a small acreage in the country but if I lived in the city I would probably put some kind of anchor into the concrete driveway and use a cable to secure the generator to that anchor.

Most of my needs( pellet stove, satellite, TV, fan ) can be met with the small inverter generator.
The inverter generator consumes very modest amounts of fuel so I only keep about 25 gallons of stabilized fuel on hand and rotate it into the PU every 9 months or so.

25 gallons would probably last about 2 weeks, maybe a bit more depending on the season.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Generlink transfer switch also does not break neutral.
[Broken External Image]

I know for a fact that OEC will come to your house and install one of these generlinks for you so they obviously are not concerned about the unbroken neutral.
As a matter of fact, electrical utility companies in other states actually sell these.

PSO (AEP) came out and installed mine (for a fee) several years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom