My New Vaquero!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Casting? Melting lead and shaping into bullet? Interesting!

I like that 7 1/2 barrel! But I'd hate to have to quick draw with it!

Oh yeah! I have only done casting for 45/70, and BP so far, but I really want to do some regular stuff. Just got out of the game for a while. Need more molds! Several years ago, my buddy gave me a bunch of ingots of the typesetter stuff. Forget what it's called! You mix it with lead for a nice, hard bullet.

No no, the Ruger is for hot loads, and knocking around with. This is the quick draw gun! Uberti made, 1858 Remington, with a Kirst Konverter in 45 Colt. Short, light, and dead on...

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v235_TheGunsOfElGuapo_The_20Guns_20of_20El_20Guapo_FILE0164.jpg

Here is the other quickie, little guy. It's a Uberti made 1861 Colt, that was a 36 caliber, and now shoots 38 Long Colt. I just use 38 Special wad cutters, as they are short enough to clear the cylinder, and have a hollow base to expand out to the rifling, like a shotgun slug does. 38 Long Colt was made this way, as well as another version, externally lubed, larger diameter, like a 22 rimfire. 38 Long Colt was a round made specifically for this conversion. It makes a neat, clean round hole on the paper. Gotta love wad cutters! Sorry, got a little off topic!

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v235_TheGunsOfElGuapo_The_20Guns_20of_20El_20Guapo_FILE0165.jpg

You can't go wrong with a Ruger Vaquero, that's for sure! Built like a brick $hithouse!

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's it!!! I think I have about 15 or so RCBS ingots of it in my storage. When I find it, I'll give you a chunk to play with. Not sure where Thomas got it. It's harder than a preachers thing-a-ding.

I had a good recipe adding wheel weights. They are very hard too. Seems like a had a bucket of them at one time. The only problem is the inconsistancy from weight maker to weight maker. You just gotta play around with it, so I hear. I haven't made anything with it yet.

When I find it, I'll drop you a line!

Latest posts

Top Bottom