Need 7.3l mechanic help in BA...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nifrost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tntrex has a good point. As it's an Excursion, I'm assuming an automatic transmission (so no clutch safety switch to troubleshoot), but definately cycle the gear selecter handle once or twice. make sure its "all the way" in park and/or neutral when you try to start it.....your problem could be in the neutral safety switch.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried putting it in neutral to start with no success. I'll meter out the power to the starter when I get home from work today. I really appreciate all the suggestions, keep them coming.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a starter relay on the RH inner fender behind battery, check that first. Just follow the battery pos+ cable from RH battery to relay, check connections etc. check other wires at relay too. The small tan/red wire is the circuit that energizes the relay to send power to the starter, you can use a jumper wire and give this circuit power for testing (make sure veh is in park). If relay tests ok, then check circuits at starter motor, there are two wires down there, one is the big battery+ cable, the other is the feed circuit from the relay.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Check for resistance in the battery cable to the starter. If its corroded internally and you cant see it, it will show high resistance and wont carry a good current. With new batteries, thats the next most likely issue unless its a dead starter itself.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's like any other ford the starter relay may be the culprit or the starter itself.

The relay should be on the passenger side fender well. And will have a large diameter cable coming from the battery to one side and another going down to the starter. You can use a screwdriver to jump across the poles and see if the starter turns over. If it does you can start the vehicle by turning the ignition on and make sure it's in park, then just jump the relay. If it doesn't turn over the starter will be the next step but you may still want to replace the relay.
www.justanswer.com_uploads_bkitchener_2009_08_19_202637_starter_relay.png

It's a long shot but the ignition switch could have went bad as well. A friend had this happen on a 90's explorer, you could turn the ignition on but not start it unless you jumped the relay.

If the cables are corroded and have a high resistance you would still hear the relay clicking and the starter would attempt to do something with a set of good batteries. Also remember that every time you cycle the ignition the glow plugs and fuel pump drain the batteries down so put a charger on it if you are going to trouble shoot and cycle the ignition, it will only take three or four cycles before the batteries start to get weak.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing to add that hasn't been mentioned above. The red battery "dummy light" will only appear with alt issues, bad batteries won't make it come on. Old batteries and bad starter have been our only two nonstart issues over the years. Starter is easy to pull and have tested too.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok,

Well I got home and started looking around, I have dual batteries, starter looks to be connected to the passenger side batter, but there is just one LARGE cable that is shielded as it goes down to the starter. I don't see a relay under the good. I have some AC stuff where the diagram says the relay should be.

I need to get some more flash lights so I can see the starter and where the cables connect. I did put a charger on the new batteries to help keep them up while I work on it.

Am I over looking the starter relay or is it possible my relay is under the dash?

Thanks~

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You haven't done anything with your programmer and upset the security, flashing in the middle of the dash. If it's flashing rapidly, it needs to be reset.

Latest posts

Top Bottom