Need 9mm CCW opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For reasons much to lengthy to explain here, I've chosen 9mm as the cartridge I would like to conceal carry. Since getting my license I've carried several different guns and shot a lot more. I'm looking for a single stack 9mm, end of story. However, I have a Kel Tec PF9 and simply can't control it, I've put about 500 flawless rounds through it and due to my own shortcomings don't feel comfortable carrying a firearm I can't get a consistent group out of because I can't handle the recoil.

Call me a wuss, yeah yeah lets get on with it, I understand I have little girl hands. I'm looking for a single stack 9mm that doesn't have that super heavy recoil without shelling out for an EMP as well as the money to get it worked over. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dbltap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For 9mm ccw, IMHO best is Glock 26. But if you have to have a single stack, I'd go Kahr. For me, the slight extra width of Glock is well worth the extra rounds. Not hard at all to conceal.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned a couple of PF-9s and a Kahr CW-9. I've also shot the PPS. They all recoil about the same. You can move up to a metal framed single stack like the Kahr K9 or Sig P239/P225, but honestly the gun isn't the problem.

I'd bet money that your grip is the culprit. Save the money you'd spend on a fancy new blaster and take a basic handgun class. My 8-year old nephew's hands are big enough for a little Kel-Tec! :bolt:

Please don't take this post the wrong way. I'm not trying to antagonize you. This is just some no-BS advice. Despite commonly held beliefs, buying cool new guns doesn't make anyone a better shooter. How do I know? Well, I've basically tried 'em all.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've owned a couple of PF-9s and a Kahr CW-9. I've also shot the PPS. They all recoil about the same. You can move up to a metal framed single stack like the Kahr K9 or Sig P239/P225, but honestly the gun isn't the problem.

I'd bet money that your grip is the culprit. Save the money you'd spend on a fancy new blaster and take a basic handgun class. My 8-year old nephew's hands are big enough for a little Kel-Tec! :bolt:

Please don't take this post the wrong way. I'm not trying to antagonize you. This is just some no-BS advice. Despite commonly held beliefs, buying cool new guns doesn't make anyone a better shooter. How do I know? Well, I've basically tried 'em all.

I would have to agree with this. Make sure you have the proper grip on the gun, it's amazing how many people don't get the proper grip and have excessive recoil because of it.

I get my hand as high on the grip as possible, this makes the recoil like a push backwards instead of a flip upwards.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a single stack 9mm, you are pretty limited. I would look at the Kahrs. What is your budget? If you are having issues with the Keltec, you will probably have issues with the PM9 also, maybe even the CW9 too. My wife did not feel comfortable with either one, so we got her a K9. The extra weight of an steel frame helps to absorb the recoil. She loves it, and shoots 4" groups with it at 10 yards, so it is her carry gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom