Need help with dogs digging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rw1341

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an Alaskan Malamute that started digging. A dog handler gave me this advise and it worked, gross but worked. When he started digging in a spot I would go get his latest & freshest doggie pile (Rated G for the mods) and put it in the hole & covered it back up. It wasn't long & he was back digging in the spot until he hit the suprise. Stopped digging after just a few of these events. Differant species of dogs may react differantly. Malamutes are real particular about staying clean & that may have helped with this meathod. Grass comes back in real green as a bonus!
Good Luck & happy scooping

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how old is your dog?? what type of dog is it.. my labs only dig when we don't exercise them... usually if you exercise your dogs well they will stop... also my labs dug alot when they were younger but stopped when they got older... we tried everything with my labs, putting poop where they dig, pepper, chicken wire, etc.... if you mix 1/4 vinegar with water and spray them when they dig, they hate it.. it will help.. but usually a tired dog doesn't dig...

Having two puppies right now, this works for me. I also grab shovel bury poop in new holes and it deters mine. The number one reason for digging is boredom for most breeds, so I'm told.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife just took a new job, plus she's now teaching class two nights a week, so I'm afraid we're not spending enough time with them. However, with more daylight it will definitely help. I will also buy them some more toys and try the poop thing. Thanks for everyone's advice!

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our smaller dog is doing it too, but we have moles - and they are a PITA to try and get rid of. I'm guessing if our moles were gone, then the digging would be greatly reduced. She still digs in places for the hell of it sometimes, and if I catch her, she get's smacked. But it's usually a mole-related issue at my place.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our smaller dog is doing it too, but we have moles - and they are a PITA to try and get rid of. I'm guessing if our moles were gone, then the digging would be greatly reduced. She still digs in places for the hell of it sometimes, and if I catch her, she get's smacked. But it's usually a mole-related issue at my place.

Concrete solves moles too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom