Need help with dogs digging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dogs started to dig in my backyard. I had one dog that would sometimes dig when it got really hot outside but now he's digging everywhere, even when its not hot outside. The other dog has now started to dig as well...what tips can you give to make them stop?

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing I've tried that works is wait until they start digging and run outside and start screaming at them. It might not look good to the neighbors but it works with our dog.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Give them a place to dig. Like a kid's sandbox. Then teach them to dig there. A clicker worked best for me. Danged dogs caught on so fast. After that it was just a matter of catching them in the act. Didn't ever punish them, just pointed to the box and said "GO". They would stop digging and RUN to the box to dig. Unbeknownst to me at the time my dogs would quickly learn to associate the word "GO" with getting to dig ... duh!!

Anyway, pretty soon they were only digging in the box. (2 Labs, 4 English pointers and a Pom mix)

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
how old is your dog?? what type of dog is it.. my labs only dig when we don't exercise them... usually if you exercise your dogs well they will stop... also my labs dug alot when they were younger but stopped when they got older... we tried everything with my labs, putting poop where they dig, pepper, chicken wire, etc.... if you mix 1/4 vinegar with water and spray them when they dig, they hate it.. it will help.. but usually a tired dog doesn't dig...

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, that's just like, your opinion man.....

(You really need to change that avatar. I can't help myself when I see it)

LOL I love it when I come across another dude fan..... Sorry but your gonna have to live with it, that avatar is me on the inside...... (not too far from being on the outside too) :)

I fixed my sig box for ya though... help any? ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom