Negotiating a raise at work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that doesn't work? I feel that going back in a month later to try and get more will be ineffective.
If you present a good case, you should get your raise the first time but if you feel mentioning the other job offer is advantageous then by all means, do it. Realize though, not all employers like that approach and they may just tell you to take the other job so be prepared for that. Once you play that Ace, there's no bringing it back.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you a diesel mechanic?
Yes I am, among other specialties.

Get a bunch of people to agree with your cause and picket. tell Bernie you don't make a living-enough wage?

Already started that!!!

If you present a good case, you should get your raise the first time but if you feel mentioning the other job offer is advantageous then by all means, do it. Realize though, not all employers like that approach and they may just tell you to take the other job so be prepared for that. Once you play that Ace, there's no bringing it back.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

That's about my thoughts, and unless I have a job lined up that I would rather have, I don't think I will go that route.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The dealership doesn't care how much money you feel you need or want. Your bills are none of their concern. What is of their concern is how much money you make them, via extra work, larger tickets, higher profit add-ons, etc. Document your work tickets, time to conduct the work and how valuable you are and you are more likely to get those extra $. Talk to them in management terms and not mechanic lingo. Good luck!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dealership doesn't care how much money you feel you need or want. Your bills are none of their concern. What is of their concern is how much money you make them, via extra work, larger tickets, higher profit add-ons, etc. Document your work tickets, time to conduct the work and how valuable you are and you are more likely to get those extra $. Talk to them in management terms and not mechanic lingo. Good luck!

This was my thought... show them you are conscientious, punctual, reliable AND that you work faster, have less problems and have better productivity and profitability than the other mechanics. That's the only way you're going to get the attention of management at a dealership.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was my thought... show them you are conscientious, punctual, reliable AND that you work faster, have less problems and have better productivity and profitability than the other mechanics. That's the only way you're going to get the attention of management at a dealership.

Or any other place you might work.
Or, be a relative of the boss. Nepotism was rampant in some of the places I worked.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I am, among other specialties.

Already started that!!!

That's about my thoughts, and unless I have a job lined up that I would rather have, I don't think I will go that route.

Diesel Mechanic. What are your other specialties? The company I've worked for for 13 years has an opening for Service Tech IV at the Norman branch location. I don't know wages for our service guys but that is all dictated by experience and your ability to negotiate. Health/retirement benefits are as good as you will find anywhere. There may be good opportunity for OT as well as our business is booming. Company is United Rentals. Construction equipment rentals and sales. Let me know if you need any more info or have question on my experiences working here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom