Negotiating a raise at work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the best way to go about it?

Quick back story: I was hired at my job approximately 10 months ago, been kicking tail and taking names ever since. I have roughly 5 years of experience in my field, with a minimal amount of formal schooling (I'm a mechanic). I have and provide my own tools and have just about everything I need. I have completed many certification classes required and requested by my dealership, have a perfect attendance record, and no tardiness. No diciplinary problems and no write ups. Good work performance and have passed all my certifications. I'm well liked by coworkers and management. My problem here is that when I was hired on, I was given $15 an hour. Not a bad wage, but rather low for the field. Our competitor was offering me $21 an hour, but I could get a job there any day of the week. A mechanic job at my dealership comes up rarely. Come to find out, I have coworkers with a year to 18 months more time at the dealership making anywhere from 19-25 an hour. I make 17 right now. A lot of my coworkers were hired making 4 or 5 more an hour than myself, with comparable experience. I was told that come December, I was going to get talked to about a raise. I honestly need the raise, and would like to make more towards what the DOL median wage is (~$21/hr).

How do I negotiate this? I do not intend on staying if I don't get at least $19 an hour, in spite of my love for my job. I gotta look out for myself. I have applied at tinker, but I don't know if I will be able to get a job offer by the time pay negotiation time rolls around. I'm looking for leverage, and I'm looking for a civil way to discuss this matter to my employer without them telling me to suck it and not to let the door hit me on the way out. Any suggestions? Anything will help.

Tulsa Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our competitor was offering me $21 an hour, but I could get a job there any day of the week.

Go ahead and line this job up for more pay, then negotiate with your current job. Or just tell them you are considering going to another dealership for the opportunity to make more money and see what they have to say. It is a hard thing for some people to do, but if you keep it to yourself you might not ever get a raise.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Explain that you love everything about working there, but financially it isn't working for you. Tell them you have been offered $21 elsewhere and see what they say. They may try to talk you down, or they may agree to $21.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Explain that you love everything about working there, but financially it isn't working for you. Tell them you have been offered $21 elsewhere and see what they say. They may try to talk you down, or they may agree to $21.

This. If they like you, they will deal with you.

Keep in mind that money is not everything. Some places pay more, because they can't keep people there. If the job sucks, it may not be worth the extra money. Just be ready to explain to them why you are worth more money.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go ahead and line this job up for more pay, then negotiate with your current job. Or just tell them you are considering going to another dealership for the opportunity to make more money and see what they have to say. It is a hard thing for some people to do, but if you keep it to yourself you might not ever get a raise.

That is kind of what I am considering.

This. If they like you, they will deal with you.

Keep in mind that money is not everything. Some places pay more, because they can't keep people there. If the job sucks, it may not be worth the extra money. Just be ready to explain to them why you are worth more money.

That's my problem, the dealership that had previously offered me $21 can't keep people at all. The turnover rate is obscene. That and I am unsure if they would even be hiring, considering it is a Cat dealership and they are going through massive layoffs. I think I'll be putting feelers out to most of the dealerships in the area around me and see what I find. I really want to play this carefully though, because I would prefer to stay where I'm at, just with a comparable wage to what I should have started with.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leave the part about the other job out of it... for now. Lay out your reasons why you deserve the raise in a professional and concise manner... no rambling. Practice before hand what you'll say. Have a confident air about you and keep eye contact. You've earned the raise, now go convince them of that.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leave the part about the other job out of it... for now. Lay out your reasons why you deserve the raise in a professional and concise manner... no rambling. Practice before hand what you'll say. Have a confident air about you and keep eye contact. You've earned the raise, now go convince them of that.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

If that doesn't work? I feel that going back in a month later to try and get more will be ineffective.

Latest posts

Top Bottom