New ATF Ruling makes it OK to go from pistol to rifle and back to pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the past, ATF has said that you could not convert a pistol to a rifle and back to a pistol (except for the Thompson Center Kits that were sold in both configurations) without filing NFA paperwork (as a pistol made from a rifle). A new ATF Ruling (2011-4 dated 25 July 11) now says that if a firearm ORIGINALLY starts out as a pistol then it is OK to convert it to a rifle and back to a pistol. If it was ORIGINALLY a rifle, it needs to stay a rifle. This is good news for the folks who like the conversion kits for Glocks, 1911, etc.. that have a stock and 16" barrel. You can now convert them back and forth without worry.

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome! I never really understood why it was such a problem to do that in the first place, but I don't really understand ATF's reasoning for most things anyways.

You're not supposed to. It makes it easier for the prosecution if you get caught breaking the rules.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm okay to swap the stock on my GSG pistol now??? I may have to re-consider selling it now, those things look awesome with the SBR look.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm okay to swap the stock on my GSG pistol now??? I may have to re-consider selling it now, those things look awesome with the SBR look.

You can only put a stock on your pistol if you put a 16" barrel on it first. Then, when you want to go back to a pistol, you would remove the stock and install the short pistol barrel. It would still have to be registered as an SBR if you wanted the stock and the short barrel at the same time.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh well that doesn't mean a dang thing for me then. That still leaves me attaching one of those big fake suppressors on the end to get to 16 inches & then the cool factor goes right out the window imo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom