New C&R license. Now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just obtained my C&R license and was curious what my next step is. I'm assuming that I need to log any C&R firearms I currently own and note any time that I sell or buy one. The thing I find confusing is the BATF's description of what constitutes a C&R eligible firearm. They state that any firearm over 50 years old is automatically on the list unless it is controlled by another law like full auto, etc. This seems to be the gray area. There's several firearms over 50 years old that many sellers on GB wouldn't ship directly to a C&R holder and I think that they are erring on the side of caution.

This is probably not all that clear so I'll use the example of a Colt Detective Special made in the 40s. I would classify it as a C&R though it may not be directly noted on the list but falls in the "greater than fifty years old" classification. Now let's say I found the same gun on Gunbroker. There's a pretty good chance the seller would not ship it directly to me and would require a full FFL transfer.

So first things first: Log all C&R firearms (anything fifty or more years old) ?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes and no. IIRC, you should log all C&R firearms that you buy and sell after you get the C&R, but I can't remember if that also requires all C&R firearms purchased prior to the C&R. Given that you might have trouble proving to the ATF agents during an audit that you purchased a C&R firearm prior to getting the 03, I'd log them all if it were me. Whether or not an individual will ship you a C&R firearm is up to that person; while the rules may state you're eligible to receive a C&R rifle directly, for example, the seller does not have to ship it to you. If he or she insists on a FFL transfer despite your argument about the C&R rules, you'll either have to comply with the seller's wishes or look elsewhere. When I had my C&R, I ran into this on a fairly regular basis. Also, some areas - I think Maryland is one - require a FFL transfer whether or not a firearm is C&R eligible. Also, you may encounter individuals such at gun shows who will balk at your need to log their info into your C&R book, and they may not want to deal with you. That's happened to me a couple times, but most folks who handle C&R firearms will be aware of that need.

I must say, I'm glad I no longer have a C&R. It has its perks, but I did not care for the paperwork.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TO add to what Perplexed has said...

You are going to run into dealers who are either ignorant of the rules or are arrogant. I ran into a gun dealer who told me that my 03 FFL was not a 'real' FFL...

Be careful. Just because a gun is over 50 it may not be eligible if not in "original configuration". I'm sure the ATF is using this vague term as a means to thomp on us if they feel like it. Example. Take a VZ24 Mauser, rebarrel it and sporterize it. That likely will no longer be C&R. Although some sellers may not care and sell it to you as a C&R anyhow. Damn gray areas.....

You do not need to log purchases of guns you already posses. Nor do you need to log guns bought/sold cash money FTF etc.

Also note, Brownell's and Midway USA will give you dealer pricing on many items as an FFL holder.

Now go forth and abuse your bank account. Make some gun dealer's day.... ;)

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on mail/faxing copies to Midway, Brownells, Mid South, etc. The discounts will cover several lifetimes of license renewals. You can buy eligible firearms direct from Century, SOG and many others. And, keep an unsigned copy of you license in your truck/work bag/ briefcase/whatever. Never know when an opportunity will happen.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with a company that had a great product for your C & R paperwork. They are called RK Enterprises out of California, all your paperwork is already in a nice binder and it makes it super easy to log all of your stuff. Including everyone you sent your license to. That way when you renew in the future you will have a list of where you need to send the new license to.

Here's the address if you want use them.

RK Enterprises
2616 Las Positas
Santa Barabara, Ca
(805)687-1416

I found out about them on the C & R forums.

Hope this helps, enjoy your new license.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are now a collector and as such all of your guns are logged in, unlike an FFL who keeps seperate books for Business and Personal use.

A C&R license is not a license to buy and sell, just to buy but you can sell and trade. Make sense? Not to me either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom