New Explorers-- Anyone own one. for reviews.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This will be momma's car. the only hauling this will do will be human based. I'll keep my truck for hauling.

I personally have no need for the ecoboost engine. My wife drives fast enough as it is. No need to encourage her to go faster. That and I'm pretty sure the new 3.5 would leave the old 4.0 I had in my 05 Explorer in the dust.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rented one from Avis for a trip to N New Mexico. No problems, comfy, fairly quick, good on the cruise control.

Rent one for a day and see if you can live with it. For 30-50 bucks seems a cheap review for an almost 40K investment.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy used and look in Texas you will save thousands off new or used. I found a used one for $4k less used than any dealer here in OK would touch. I asked them just to match the price and save me the trip. I showed them the ad on the Texas website and they still wouldnt touch it. BTW you can get a 4 cylinder ecoboost for the XLT as well. The V6 badboy ecoboost is only available in the Sport and maybe limited.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only issue we have ( and it seems that some others have had it too) is that when you really stomp on it it smells up the cabin really bad. Kinda like rotten eggs. Online forums indicate that it is exhaust gasses. We never really worried about it because we drive it like a granny and it has not come up often but lately it has been really annoying ( have just over 20K on the clock now). Going to have to take it in soon and see what the dealership will do about it

not sure about this, I never smell anything.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 12 Limited in Arkansas right now. After asking a couple of specific questions and getting not so specific answers. I'm not that inclined to drive 4 hours to go look at it.

I'm probably going to reserve myself to speaking with the bank getting a pre-approval and just sitting and waiting.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mrs. Zap has a '12 LTD with the turbo 4 banger. She loves it. I'm not crazy about it. It can get pretty darn good mileage on the highway (25-27 per the trip car's info center), but the overall mileage is 22. Granted, that's not bad for a 7 passenger vehicle. The 4 actually makes a bit more torque than the naturally aspirated 6, but you have to really stand on it to make it go. The 6 speed transmission constantly upshifts to maximize mileage, so by 30 mph, you're in 5th gear. To be honest, it drives more like a station wagon and feels really low to me. But, I drive a lifted FJ, so I may just be used to a higher ride. Doesn't drive like a truck at all.

Also, the footwell area is really small. Basically, you can use the dead pedal or go screw yourself; there's no other place for my left foot. Oh, and it stalled a couple times for no good reason and is starting to go into high rev mode upon startup. Going to the dealership Wednesday, we'll see how good the extended warranty really is. 55k miles.

On the plus side, it drives smooth, is quiet and looks nice. The interior is well done and a pleasant place to eat up turnpike miles (except for my left foot). Lots of room, and the seats fold down flat. You could really haul a lot of stuff so long as it's not too heavy. Overall, it's an "ok" car. I think I'd like it better if it had one of the 6 cylinders, especially the Ecoboost.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, the adaptive cruise control is amazing. I got on the highway in OKC and didn't touch the brake until the off ramp in Dallas. You set the speed and following distance you want and the truck keeps you there, going slower as necessary.

I think I'd like it better if it had one of the 6 cylinders, especially the Ecoboost.
It's awesome with the 3.7L Ecoboost. The Sport gets that engine and it's a lot of fun. It has a more aggressive tune than the one in the F-150, and really shows what it can do. It's no race car, but it's fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom