New Orleans Police Officer Quits While on Duty.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't count how many nights where I was the only cop on duty. Now it wasn't New Orleans by any stretch, but we're still talking about the exact same calls he would have been dispatched to...domestics, burglary in progress, motor vehicle accidents, prowlers, etc. I would have to respond to those calls ALONE many, many nights.

He should have told his supervisor of his anxiety/discomfort about the lack of backup instead of bailing on them and making all of his fellow brothers/sisters in blue take up the slack that he left.

Crybaby. Harden the :censored: up and get some thicker skin. If you can't hack it, maybe you should sell shoes for a living. This job isn't for the timid.
My brother is now a Detective, Over 20 years on the force. I don't know why anyone would want to be a cop in todays time when Judges just turn them loose. Or their supervisors don't give a damn anymore! Same with these people who think body cameras are bad. George Floyd is a perfect example of how the courts, and the ANTI POLICE people get their ways. Floyd was a perfect example of how the court system has not only failed the people, but now has failed our people in blue! STAY SAFE, and know you are appreciated!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
https://policetribune.com/former-co...officers-are-patrolling-new-orleans-streets/?
He says for a city of 377K people, there were only 35 officers "logged in". He then goes on to say the news is lying about having 1,000 officers. He says they have about a quarter of that.

In my opinion, he may have done the right thing, at least for him, but he did it the wrong way.

I do not support his actions.
Sounds like he was already mentally checked out. Sticking around for another two weeks could have only resulted in himself or coworkers getting hurt or killed. I wouldn't have wanted to have had him working along side of me or show up as backup like that.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother is now a Detective, Over 20 years on the force. I don't know why anyone would want to be a cop in todays time when Judges just turn them loose. Or their supervisors don't give a damn anymore! Same with these people who think body cameras are bad. George Floyd is a perfect example of how the courts, and the ANTI POLICE people get their ways. Floyd was a perfect example of how the court system has not only failed the people, but now has failed our people in blue! STAY SAFE, and know you are appreciated!
Please thank him from all of us! That is one thing I liked about a small town, you were the detective and worked your own cases.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed you show being in Sierra Vista, AZ. I have a good friend that lives in Hereford, AZ. In fact we spoke on the phone this morning. My wife and I have visited he and his wife twice over the past few years. We very much enjoyed the area.

Welcome to OSA.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
George Floyd was a no good POS thug. BLM made a hero out of him even painting wings on caricatures of him. Chauvin just stayed on his throat way too long and with all the screaming and hollering, traffic, etc. who knows what we would have done in same situation.

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New Orleans is right up there with violent crime and murders like Detroit, Chicago, and DC. One of the top 4. Guess the guy felt like he was left out with his arse in the wind. Super ruff area to not have backup.
New Orleans is no Day at the Beach. We have no idea why the officer left the day he did and no judgement here. As a Deputy in North Louisiana, we were called on to not enter a domestic dispute until back up had arrived. We were 2 so we figured we already had back up and went in anyway. As my partner entered the trailer he froze and over his shoulder I could see the Male obviously drunk but not incapacitated enough to be holding a hunting rifle, later to be identified as a loaded Rem 700, 30-06 cal. The Female was sitting in a chair with back to Male and crying not saying anything. My partner was the first to speak and asked if we could leave quietly, pretty calmly considering the weapon was pointed at his head. Not sure about his, but my heart was pounding. The night ended with the Male being charged and taken to jail, the female was allowed to stay on her own, her boyfriend had arrived by then. My partner was pretty shaken by the event. his only comment was he could see his 2 children not growing up without their dad. He turned in his badge the next day. Say what you want about how he should have done it, but you weren't in his shoes that night. I for one feel fortunate that he went on to build a life for his family in a less "stressful" world and my friend is still here to raise his children.

Last edited:

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New Orleans is no Day at the Beach. We have no idea why the officer left the day he did and no judgement here. As a Deputy in North Louisiana, we were called on to not enter a domestic dispute until back up had arrived. We were 2 so we figured we already had back up and went in anyway. As my partner entered the trailer he froze and over his shoulder I could see the Male obviously drunk but not incapacitated enough to be holding a hunting rifle, later to be identified as a loaded Rem 700, 30-06 cal. The Female was sitting in a chair with back to Male and crying not saying anything. My partner was the first to speak and asked if we could leave quietly, pretty calmly considering the weapon was pointed at his head. Not sure about his, but my heart was pounding. The night ended with the Male being charged and taken to jail, the female was allowed to stay on her own, her boyfriend had arrived by then. My partner was pretty shaken by the event. his only comment was he could see his 2 children not growing up without their dad. He turned in his badge the next day. Say what you want about how he should have done it, but you weren't in his shoes that night. I for one feel fortunate that he went on to build a life for his family in a less "stressful" world and my friend is still here to raise his children.

That was a hairy story there. Glad it came out good for you two with nobody dead.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I first started I worked in a very large county where backup was never close by, on average it was 20 minutes away, which seems like a lifetime when you are dealing with a DV call or even what we called "civil standbys" which were usually anything but "civil". At night backup was an off duty deputy who had to be woken up and dispatched to wherever the scene was. We had all the same calls they do in the city plus an abundance of meth labs and all the problems associated with them.

I admit that back in those days, when youth makes you feel indestructible, I loved the thrill of being out there alone with only my wits to depend on. I was also very proactive and an adrenaline junkie who was always looking for something to get into and I found just that more often than not. I say this because I understand law enforcement isn't for everyone and there's no shame in coming to the conclusion that you aren't cut out for it, but I have a hard time accepting the decision to quit during a shift. Whether or not there was another deputy anywhere close by or even on duty we knew we could depend on each. No one I ever worked with ever considered quitting without notice and leaving someone else by themselves to deal with whatever it was they had going on. Granted NOPD is a much larger agency and there are officers on duty 24 7 365, but they are still severely understaffed and to have one officer decide to quit during his shift could be the difference between life or death for another officer.

This 'officer' did no one any favors. He put his brothers and sisters at risk by making a bad situation even worse. It would have been much better had he just quit at the beginning of his shift so his shift commander had time to make adjustments or at the end of his shift, but to leave during his shift, IMHO, is just an act of selfishness and shows a complete disregard for the safety of those who would, more than likely, defended his life at risk of their own.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I first started I worked in a very large county where backup was never close by, on average it was 20 minutes away, which seems like a lifetime when you are dealing with a DV call or even what we called "civil standbys" which were usually anything but "civil". At night backup was an off duty deputy who had to be woken up and dispatched to wherever the scene was. We had all the same calls they do in the city plus an abundance of meth labs and all the problems associated with them.

I admit that back in those days, when youth makes you feel indestructible, I loved the thrill of being out there alone with only my wits to depend on. I was also very proactive and an adrenaline junkie who was always looking for something to get into and I found just that more often than not. I say this because I understand law enforcement isn't for everyone and there's no shame in coming to the conclusion that you aren't cut out for it, but I have a hard time accepting the decision to quit during a shift. Whether or not there was another deputy anywhere close by or even on duty we knew we could depend on each. No one I ever worked with ever considered quitting without notice and leaving someone else by themselves to deal with whatever it was they had going on. Granted NOPD is a much larger agency and there are officers on duty 24 7 365, but they are still severely understaffed and to have one officer decide to quit during his shift could be the difference between life or death for another officer.

This 'officer' did no one any favors. He put his brothers and sisters at risk by making a bad situation even worse. It would have been much better had he just quit at the beginning of his shift so his shift commander had time to make adjustments or at the end of his shift, but to leave during his shift, IMHO, is just an act of selfishness and shows a complete disregard for the safety of those who would, more than likely, defended his life at risk of their own.

2b9e4c1a-79b5-4179-a3bb-c99e3a05b958_text.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom