New Rant "Ignorant Authors"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone else get driven bonkers by authors who write with little or wrong information on firearms? I find myself totally loosing interest in a book that had held my attention when the author makes bone headed mistakes about the guns the character is using. I like westerns, and find frequently that the author doesn't understand that single action Colt type revolvers DON'T HAVE SWING OUT CYLIINDERS!! (Sorry for the shouting, but it really stresses me out..) That is only one of many mistakes I find in books by authors who assume knowledge they don't have. I would be willing to tutor any author on firearm types and the realities of shooting, including Newtons third law of motion..Blitz

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Does anyone else get driven bonkers by authors who write with little or wrong information on firearms? I find myself totally loosing interest in a book that had held my attention when the author makes bone headed mistakes about the guns the character is using. I like westerns, and find frequently that the author doesn't understand that single action Colt type revolvers DON'T HAVE SWING OUT CYLIINDERS!! (Sorry for the shouting, but it really stresses me out..) That is only one of many mistakes I find in books by authors who assume knowledge they don't have. I would be willing to tutor any author on firearm types and the realities of shooting, including Newtons third law of motion..Blitz

are you reading stephen king's the dark tower series?

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Until I read the post, I was thinking Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. Guy knows nothing about cars, tactics, or people. Dude is locked in box van for days adn can tell what direction its moving, how fast, where its at, and what time it is to the minute. All in a sensory deprived state.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife's has eight full novels under her belt. Once she tried to have a character throw a magazine out of a window. I had to have the talk with her and explain that throwing a "cartridge" would be a completely different thing. But, I will say she doesn't throw the word "clip" around.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, you have to be sure and oil the clips on those Colt Single Action Army pistols, and be sure you have working batteries for its integral suppressor.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, you have to be sure and oil the clips on those Colt Single Action Army pistols, and be sure you have working batteries for its integral suppressor.

IT'S A SILENCER D****T!!! When you put one on a revolver (like I have on all mine) they make ZERO noise! Learn your facts!

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
IT'S A SILENCER D****T!!! When you put one on a revolver (like I have on all mine) they make ZERO noise! Learn your facts!

You're right. I'm sorry. I forgot it was supposed to be called a silencer. It shoots well. I NEVER miss while holding it sideways and while shooting as I am running, sliding, jumping, driving, eating, drinking, combing my hair, brushing my teeth or siting on the toilet.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're right. I'm sorry. I forgot it was supposed to be called a silencer. It shoots well. I NEVER miss while holding it sideways and while shooting as I am running, sliding, jumping, driving, eating, drinking, combing my hair, brushing my teeth or siting on the toilet.

Hmmm. I'm going to have to try that one next time at the range. That's a straight "big pimpin" move right there! :respect:

Waltherfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years ago I was reading a martial arts novel and the author had someone flip the safety on his glock. The author was nice enough to provide his contact information so I emailed him about it. He emailed me back. Turns out he's a good guy and had gotten a lot of grief from his firearms knowledgeable friends and readers. He now has some of them check his books for firearm related accuracy.

See if you can contact the author. Not many of them want to appear stupid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom