New Rant "Ignorant Authors"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right. I'm sorry. I forgot it was supposed to be called a silencer. It shoots well. I NEVER miss while holding it sideways and while shooting as I am running, sliding, jumping, driving, eating, drinking, combing my hair, brushing my teeth or siting on the toilet.

Plus, when your silenced or suppressed you're HOT!!!!!! :thumbup3:

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "old" western writers didn't make such mistakes. . .Zane Grey, Louis L'Amour. Heck, it was a L'Amour book in which I first discovered Colt made a revolving shotgun, and I have been trying to buy one ever since.

ETA:
The "old" Tom Clancy likewise didn't make mistakes like that. . .but his work has gone downhill in recent years.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The "old" western writers didn't make such mistakes. . .Zane Grey, Louis L'Amour. Heck, it was a L'Amour book in which I first discovered Colt made a revolving shotgun, and I have been trying to buy one ever since.

ETA:
The "old" Tom Clancy likewise didn't make mistakes like that. . .but his work has gone downhill in recent years.
good luck with that, those things are rarer than a half unicorn half pegasus. I'd be happy just to find a Russian MTs-255

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

ETA:

If you notice, Clancy has other names on the books with his.. He does very little of the authoring on those.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
are you reading stephen king's the dark tower series?

I am listening to it and it does bother me some, but I just fall back on the knowledge that 1. Stephen King is an idiot when it comes to guns, and 2. these people are from worlds that are either slightly or greatly different than ours and it's possible in one of those worlds that Ruger did make a 44 magnum semi-automatic... What bugs me more is that when these guys have the chance to grab more guns and ammo when they really need them they almost never do (they grabbed some ammo once but it was all 45, not sure where they get the ammo for the 44). But at least he does have them reloading frequently.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am listening to it and it does bother me some, but I just fall back on the knowledge that 1. Stephen King is an idiot when it comes to guns, and 2. these people are from worlds that are either slightly or greatly different than ours and it's possible in one of those worlds that Ruger did make a 44 magnum semi-automatic... What bugs me more is that when these guys have the chance to grab more guns and ammo when they really need them they almost never do (they grabbed some ammo once but it was all 45, not sure where they get the ammo for the 44). But at least he does have them reloading frequently.

yea, it's one of my favorite series. I think I've read them all 5 times (actually what got me into the single action collecting). Did you know that they're trying to make an HBO series out of them? The current proposal is 4 seasons of 1 hour long shows and 2 full length movies. Lots of delays, but hopefully it'll get made.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You could always do like i did and write the author and provide for them the correct information. They thanked me and said the editor in NY didn't know anything about the west or guns. She sometime now send me an email and asks how a gun works, or the nomenclature about it.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I nominate Stephen Frater's new book, "Hell Above Earth" as the new champion in handgun ignorance.

The book is about an American WW II bomber pilot named Werner Goering, supposed nephew of Hermann Goering. The military allowed him to fly, but selected a highly qualified copilot to shoot him if he was in danger of being captured by the Germans or appeared to be defecting.

Don't buy the book. It is an interesting little story puffed up to 302 pages with inclusion of lots of repetitious "history" (war stories) and a ton of scholarly froo froo.

On page two I almost stopped reading the book, and I should have. Here's a quote:

"Given the odds he faced, Werner needed divine protection. He was about to join "the world's longest continual battle." Army issued Colt .45 pistols held seven rounds. If a man were to play Russian roulette with one round in the magazine, He'd have about a 14 percent chance of dying--almost the same odds as a Mighty Eighth WW II-era bomber crewman had on any given day."

I was speechless. If the copilot, who was deep into guns ever saw it, he probably had a meltdown. It just now occurrs to me that the copilot, with whom the author developed a strong friendship, may have suggested the above content as a joke on the author. I hope so. If so, it was a good one. If not, I refer to my above nomination.

The copilot died in, I think, 2010. His heirs found over 90 weapons in his house, all loaded. He was chosen partly for his very high expertise with the .45, and carried three of them when on missions. His name was Jack Rencher.

Another high point in the book is on page 70, where the author says 1013 people died on the Titanic. One common number is 1502, and others are close to that. Can't imagine how he did that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom