New Reloader - Soon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe some better wording on my bullet question. I mentioned 9mm because that's what I'm going to start with but the copper plated question applies to all the calibers I mentioned earlier.
At some point down the road I'd like to try casting, if I can get the lead or catch what I'm shooting.
I'm guessing the copper plated part would be an issue?

.... but unique seems to be a pretty good catch-all for the calibers listed - but it's rare as hens teeth right now.
Hen's teeth are awful tough to run across. Any other suggestions for another catch-all powder for pistol loads as a starting point?

Good luck Drew, these guys gotcha covered. I can't believe powder prices, just like ammo I was hoarding before hoarding was cool!
I have some Bullseye that has a price of $12.81 on it,hard to believe these days.
Thanks Darren. As I haven't had the need to buy powder or primers or other components, I don't know any different when it comes to prices.
That's good and bad I suppose.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Jerry's just doubled the size of the shop. Well, I say "just"... since the last time I was there.

They also have reloading classes if someone needs it.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are a several other powders that can be used in a wide range of rounds. Hodgdon Clays and titegroup (not titeWAD), Alliant Red Dot, Alliant Greed Dot, 800X, 700X. . . your books (smartly bought, by the way) will guide you and give you a wide range of loads and powders. Right now, it's a matter of matching up the bullet weight and caliber and THEN finding a powder that suits to get you going. Get to know what powders are documented for your round, then keep ALL of them in mind as you peruse the web or local stores looking for powder. That way you have a broader spectrum of products to look at.

Me, personally, I am using Promo for 45LC and 45ACP loads. It's a strange powder and isn't documented for these calibers. After much discussion and testing, I've developed a good load for both rounds. It meters like red-dot in WEIGHT, not VOLUME, so there's some math involved in getting the correct powder drop. for my 38sp cowboy loads, I load Trail Boss and have been getting very good results. Light recoil, accurate at our shooting distances etc. Again, very hard to find right now. I made off with a 4lb jug from another OSA'er and I count my lucky stars every time I pull that handle. My 12ga is loaded with titewad for competition.

Keep in mind that these powders are not designed for the 223/5.56 round. You will be better off using two distinct powders pistol and rifle. You will find you get better economy in the 5.56 by using a powder documented for it. There are lots of 556 powders available right now. HP-38, 4895, BL-C(2) - which is my favorite, CFE, H223, H380.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Jerry's is awesome. Hard to find dies and brass can be found there as well as 'most' powders. If they don't have what you're looking for, they usually have a suitable second choice. Be prepared to leave there a little poorer.

Not trying to high jack drews thread as I'm sure he would be interested.
What charge are you using of hp38 for 5.56 victor.
I ask cause I keep hp38 around all the time and mainly just use it for 38spl

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Darren,

I built a load up of 4grs of HP-38 with a 55gr pulldown pill for a very light squirrel/plinking round. It's quite slow by AR standards and won't cycle an AR, but in our 223 bolt action it was a hoot! I put it together when we couldn't find an 22LR.

It's by no means the perfect round but it kept my son and his buddies shooting during the 22lr shortage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom