New Reloader - Soon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteStalker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Posting #3 had a lot of good info!

Powder measure:

I have had good luck with a lot of powders that have low online rankings for metering like 800x and unique. I run the powder dump station and check at least 5 times to check the weight ranges of powder throws before I start, and periodically check weight every so many rounds. After you run a few rounds in the progressive, you will get used seeing to how full each case is before you set the bullet on the case (I don't use bullet feeders for this safety reason).

Case prep:

I don't do anything to pistol cases except look at it while I'm feeding to my press, and drop anything that looks questionable in the trash.

The rifle cases take time, and you may even consider using a single stage for them. I have had a lot of issues with range brass in my progressive. Also, running 223, you will have a lot of crimped primers wind up in the mix. (9mm and 45 have this issue from time to time as well) You will have to decap and swage the crimp before running them. The Dillon Super Swage is amazing for the crimp removal. I size on single stage, crimp and trim before running them in the progressive to charge, seat and factory crimp.

Range Testing:

Since you are loading light for plinking, then you shouldn't load more than about 10-20 rounds before they are tested. You want to make sure that your loads make it out of the barrel and that your gun will cycle with the selected loads without jamming. I made this mistake once :) Yup, loaded about 200 9mm rounds and they wouldn't cycle. Luckily they worked in my dad's gun, and I didn't have to pull them.

Good luck with reloading! I have used this hobby to find the true potential of some guns that I didn't think would ever shoot good groups.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Posting #3 had a lot of good info!

Range Testing:

I agree on the post 3 info, good for a reference point for me. Your range testing is a good idea as well, I'd hate to load a bunch that won't cycle.

Another question I have is on cleaning pistol brass. Do I need to de-prime prior to cleaning or after? I've read both and the argument is getting your die nice and crappy when de-priming dirty brass. I suppose I could clean it twice, but not real efficient.
Whatever method is typical/suggested, I'll go that route and then figure things out as I go along. I can get a bit anal retentive so dirty brass may get irritating.

My Dad gave me his older MEC reloader earlier this year, set up for 12 ga, so I've been looking it over, cleaning it up and checking out some of the other parts he sent with it. 3 charging bars, several bushings, a universal charge bar, a few other pieces and 2 scales that were not handled very well but are at least in their original box. A Lyman Pro 500 Scale and a Lee scale. Just need to figure out how things work together, it's been probably 30+ years since I pulled the handle on this MEC, my sons have more recent experience than me, helping Grandpa of course.

I put the #1 son on Jerry's up in Tulsa, I think he lives about 10 minutes away from the place. He did say the guy he talked with was pretty helpful with several recommendations and it was a pretty cool store, LOTS of stuff. He'll be bringing a few things down with him when comes for Christmas day.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My presses send the primers down the middle of the ram and no issues cleaning the pistol brass then depriming.
But I have done it both ways and have a lot of 45 cases deprimed then pin cleaned,, also have a lot of them pin cleaned with primers in them.

Whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy is the best way.
I have a lee universal depriming die.. love it and use it a lot

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just about have the Dillon set up, just working on things a little at a time. The press is all put together and mounted, but I need to adjust the dies for sizing, powder drop and seating, I've done some depriming, so that's a start.
I've got 1K of CCI primers, 4# of 700X and 1# of Titegroup along with a new set of calipers, just missing the bullets as far as components go.
Slowly building a pin tumbler... s-l-o-w-l-y.

At this point, I'm still trying to determine best course, lead bullets or copper plated, but it'll be either 115gr or 124gr.

I've also got two older powder scales, beam style. Any tips on cleaning and some type of calibration to verify accuracy, or maybe just invest in a new one?

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget JK Bullets Casters, they also sell supplies, and xtreme plated bullets.
Big Boys has some supplies too, and H&H has a good selection when it is in stock....

Personally, with the cost of xtreme or barry's plated bullets, I prefer them to cast.
This is of course unless you are casting your own. Nothing wrong with them at all.
It just gets kinda dirty after a while. .02

Latest posts

Top Bottom