New type of LED for flashlighs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itzkwik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Fenix TK30 and it does have the CREE LEDs, I have heard that there is a new or advanced LED that has alot more output than the ones i have, I looked online lastnight and couldn't find anything explaining what the actual difference is and technical data.
Any expert Flashlight Guru's out there know what I'm talkin bout?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Luxeon LED high output emitters were the first on the scene.
when Cree LED emitters arrived ... output doubled for same power consumption.

like computing power... output in lumens constantly improve
discounting exotic emitters which have bin codes not readily available.

max output for single die emitters are about 320 lumens out the front end at 1,000 milliamps.

here's a link for a thread where I just upgraded a Surefire weapons light with the last P-60 dropin with basic technical info.
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110483

I have a Fenix TK30 and it does have the CREE LEDs, I have heard that there is a new or advanced LED that has alot more output than the ones i have, I looked online lastnight and couldn't find anything explaining what the actual difference is and technical data.
Any expert Flashlight Guru's out there know what I'm talkin bout?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AW is a VERY reputable seller and has been responsible for delivering the latest li-ion battery technologies for a number of years.

AW was one of the original Candlepower Forum (CPF) modders. He's known for delivering the highest quality li-ion cells available.

go with protected li-ion cells when ever possible. CPF'er were the world's first adoptees of individual li-ion cells in flashlights. these were raw li-ion cells, which would accept a charge long as current was delivered. early li-ion cells would blow up when over charged.

we were the Guinea pigs for li-ion use... there were lots of fires from cells exploding in the early days of consumer li-ion use.

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new LED emitter getting all the hype is the Cree XM-L.

A few manufacturers are already offering lights with this emitter. From what I see, it is a marginal increase over the latest Cree XP-G at lower current levels (below 1.5 amps) and really shines above that.

I know Nailbender is offering P-60 drop-ins with a XM-L driven at 3.1 amps, should be around 700 lumens or so? Only issue is heat in these smallish lights.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3.1 amps will general a large amount of heat ... along with short runtimes.

preferred current draw is 350-500 milliamps range... my new P-60 drop-in draws 1,000 milliamps which is borderline too high. puts out 320 lumens, which is PLENTY of performance for a weapons light.

the standard for 10+ years now... Surefire M-6 puts out 500+ lumens with high output bulb... 250 lumens with lower output bulb.

much rather drive emitter at lower currents and use emitters efficiency to put out a usable amount of light with good runtimes.

The new LED emitter getting all the hype is the Cree XM-L.

A few manufacturers are already offering lights with this emitter. From what I see, it is a marginal increase over the latest Cree XP-G at lower current levels (below 1.5 amps) and really shines above that.

I know Nailbender is offering P-60 drop-ins with a XM-L driven at 3.1 amps, should be around 700 lumens or so? Only issue is heat in these smallish lights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom