newly aquired motorcycle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yep seafoam is amazing. i once heard that if you soak a Yamaha shadow 650 if a sefoam vat for a week when you pull it out it will be a brand new HD screaming eagle street glide.
What they actually said was with the same amount to fill the vat you can buy a new harley.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the previous owner said it ran well (And can be trusted), it's likely that it will just take a bit to "Blow it out" and get it all running well. Not too hard to pull the carbs and check to see how the floats/ needles are sealing if the aformentioned "tap" doesn't work. Watch out for generic carb rebuild kits, they're crap. When possible, get brand name carb stuff- Mikuni, Keihin, etc..

It's worth the effort to flush the brakes, check the pads, rebuild calipers if sticking, lube the cables, change fluids, change out all of the bulbs, change the cracking tires, etc.. Fairly cheap to do, and it avoids th D'oh! factor of getting pulled over for a light out or running it into a bar ditch when a 10+ year old tire gives way.

Post pics when you chop it up into a backstreet chopper. Plan on riding to one of the Smokeout fests?

Rajder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yep seafoam is amazing. i once heard that if you soak a Yamaha shadow 650 if a sefoam vat for a week when you pull it out it will be a brand new HD screaming eagle street glide.

Why in the world would you want to waste all of that Seafoam and then end up with a bike that was slower than the original bike? :) Sounds like a perfectly good waste of Seafoam and a Shadow 650 to me! :)

But back to the OP. Since you only paid $600 for the bike I'm assuming you don't want to pay some other mechanic $500 just to fix it. Get a good Haynes or equivalent manual and start with the carbs and the seafoam. Then put it back together with new seals & gaskets and sync the carbs. Then do like BigJoe said and check the output on the battery. From there you can move on and check the stator.

Then when your done with all that and the bike still doesn't run right then you can take it to a mechanic! :) Just kidding, kinda. If you've never messed with carbs before be prepared to have them on and off the bike about 100 times before you get it right. Fuel injection is way easier to mess with. Good luck!

And wear a helmet!

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advise all. Getting seafoam today to see how she runs after. Don't know which application I should use. The one once per fresh gallon of gas, or remove the tank and drench the all the carbs in it. Previous owner put a brand new rear tire on it, and front has tons of tread but mild dry rot, so it will be replaced soon. Also have a repair manual coming from eBay. Hopefully won't be much more difficult than tearing into my jeeps. I would hate to wind up with a box-o-bike that I can't put back together.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
one thing i learned a long time ago. before you dissasmble anything if you can video and narrate what you do, if you cant video it take lots of pictures.

Latest posts

Top Bottom