Next question for bolt action owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1000!!! Most if not all aftermarket stuff is just that "aftermarket"! "You just have to have the latest Wizbang, doodad, dumaflichy, dingdong, gobbletygook hanging off your rifle or your just going to miss that deer, pig, groundhog, bear at ten feet". Rifle=Good stock, smooth action(personal preference iron sights) good glass-doesn't mean its got to cost 3/4 or more of what your rifle costs, and a good sling(Its not just for carrying the rifle), and good ammo. Spend time at the range, and get away from that bench and sandbags, they won't be in the field with you. Learn how to use that sling, and dope that wind. You'll be surprised at all the garbage you don't need.

I knew I liked you for a reason... I just didn't know why until now!

:)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not all breaks cause noise/blast rearward. And some folks have sensitive shoulders (I've posted a pic of mine in the past - lots of scarring, very little un-cut areas on upper part of my right arm).

Its not always about the latest gadgets - sometimes there's a need and that need is best filled with something someone besides the OEM manufacturer makes.

Remington makes their own rifles, but do a piss-poor job at it (especially modern-day versions) - its not like they make as good a barrel as Broughton, Hart, etc... Its not like they make as good a trigger as Jewell, Timney, Rifle Basix (anymore), etc... Its not like they put stocks worth a damn on their rifles.

If you're shooting more than just 100 yard groups or hunting with them, then some of these things matter (a lot) and little things that affect accuracy are a bit more important.

Recoil sensitivity to a .308 is probably best dealt with by way of training and proper technique, but that's not always the case - I'm over my recoil sensitivity because its been more than a few years since my surgery, but for a good year or so, I was almost unable to handle even slight amounts of recoil.

I'm not disagreeing with the spirit of what LDP posted, but that's not necessarily always the case.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to improve the accuracy of your rifle, start with your ammo. If you handload, try different powders,bullets(design and weights), charges, and bullett speeds. 99% of the time you can find the load to make your rifle fire a one hole 3 shot group a 100yds. If your shooting a heavy barrel you can one hole 5 shot groups.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not all breaks cause noise/blast rearward. And some folks have sensitive shoulders (I've posted a pic of mine in the past - lots of scarring, very little un-cut areas on upper part of my right arm).

Its not always about the latest gadgets - sometimes there's a need and that need is best filled with something someone besides the OEM manufacturer makes.

Remington makes their own rifles, but do a piss-poor job at it (especially modern-day versions) - its not like they make as good a barrel as Broughton, Hart, etc... Its not like they make as good a trigger as Jewell, Timney, Rifle Basix (anymore), etc... Its not like they put stocks worth a damn on their rifles.

If you're shooting more than just 100 yard groups or hunting with them, then some of these things matter (a lot) and little things that affect accuracy are a bit more important.

Recoil sensitivity to a .308 is probably best dealt with by way of training and proper technique, but that's not always the case - I'm over my recoil sensitivity because its been more than a few years since my surgery, but for a good year or so, I was almost unable to handle even slight amounts of recoil.

I'm not disagreeing with the spirit of what LDP posted, but that's not necessarily always the case.

My low opinion of muzzle brakes stops when there are clinical reasons for recoil reduction. I failed to go there in my post, but fully understand the need.

You were wise to lay off until you healed. You could have developed some really bad habits if you had kept trying to shoot stout centerfire stuff while hurting. CB

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

EZB, I understand fully. I have two steel plates in my neck and will soon have two more sets along the back of my neck. I do know just how sensitive recoil can be. I'll agree with you on the Remingtons of new, mine is an original 700DX left handed. You almost don't have to aim her, and she's got a very nice trigger, not match grade, but pretty close, Oh yeah, she's in 30-06.

I only jumped up and down over the gizmo's and gadgets, cause it seems today there are way to many folks that don't understand, or know anything about basic rifle marksmanship. To me its something that needs to be learned first before slapping on the garbage I see on alot of rifles. 1000+ dollars of glass isn't going to make you a better shooter, nor is a bipod, and alot of the other stuff I see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom