NFA Trust.....does anyone know ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an NFA trust for my suppressor. When I set up the trust with the help of US Lawshield I had my wife and son listed as co-trustees. i *assumed* that in my demise the trust still owns the suppressor and my wife and or son now have legal possession. Is that correct or must something be done involving ATF?

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they are designated as trustees it is my understanding that nothing needs to be done with the ATF as anyone designated as a trustee can legally possess the items in the trust.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have another suppressor ordered via Silencer Central. They are doing another separate trust. When questioning them about this very question they were saying something else had to be done for ATF at me death even tho' I again set up my son as co-trustee.....confusing what I had already thought with my previous trust.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All mine are individual owned. When I die my kids can do some form 5's and transfer them tax free or turn them in for destruction.. If you have a trust make sure all your I's are dotted and T's are crossed.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two on a family trust and my last one from Silencer Central is an individual trust. I should probably put something together for my wife and daughters so they're aware of what to do. I always think of this stuff when I least want to deal with it.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My understanding is a trust needs 3 types of people:
Grantor: that's you, you placed the item in the trust. You're also a trustee.
Trustee: you, the grantor, and whoever else you name, can legally presses the item. But trustee other than the grantor don't have ownership.
Beneficiary: The beneficiary takes ownership upon death of the grantor. may be a trustee, but often not.

******You really need to talk with whoever setup your trust.*****

Latest posts

Top Bottom