No longer have a turkey hunting area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I went out this morning. Got there before any flydown should have happened. Got nothing for a response. Waited until daylight and walked down into the woods. I haven't been in those woods since 2011.
It runs along the Salt Fork River and isn't very wide, so I leave it as a sanctuary, never stepping foot into it, only taking the deer and turkey that come up to the wheat field. Its one of those places that you can go to and know for a fact your going to get your animal, just have to pick out which one. The deer are still there,(saw 18 today) but the turkey have been missing. I thought that the neighbor down river that leases hunting rights, might have put up feeders. Last spring, a pipline crew put a line right next to the boundry fence, right during hunting season, but I saw a few later, and thought, they will come back.
Last spring, there were 90MPH sustained winds that blew through the area. There hasn't been a turkey seen since. Walked a deer trail, and I think I've figured out why. Every cotton wood tree, and major hackberry tree, some with trunks 5' in diameter, and 75' tall have been blown down.
Its a total jungle in there now. Impossible to walk through without having to crawl or go around fallen timber.

The turkey aren't there because the habitat they require isn't there any more. They require roosting areas #1, and its no longer there.
Later in the morning, I actually met the guy that leases hunting down river. He said he no longer leases, as the game has left, so I can't blame him anymore.

So, I'm without a turkey hunting area. :'(

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_04_13_pujaje3e.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_04_13_zete4a9a.jpg

But I did find this.

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_04_13_5ehe8uga.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom