Non resident permints and LE officers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far in my 6 months of having my utah non resident permit i have come into "official" contact with 3 LE officers, one was OHP and the other two were Rogers County deputies. The OHP officer and one of the Deputies had never heard of a utah non resident permit and i got the 3rd degree about why didnt I have an oklahoma permit. why do I have a utah permit and all that. Anyone else have a problem with this??? I just try to come up with the best explanation of why i got one.....its cheaper and quicker and easier to get. any other non resident permit holders get questioned about it?

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, quit doing whatever is causing all this "official" contact. Lol.

Seriously, it's really none of their business WHY you have a Utah license and you're not obligated to tell them. That said, it may not be in your best interest to be difficult about it.

I'd just say "I don't make a lot of money and this is a cheaper way to go. Utah issues non-resident licenses and all valid licenses are recognized in Oklahoma."

I wouldn't say anything about it being "easier" or "quicker."

Bryan

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, quit doing whatever is causing all this "official" contact. Lol.

Seriously, it's really none of their business WHY you have a Utah license and you're not obligated to tell them. That said, it may not be in your best interest to be difficult about it.

I'd just say "I don't make a lot of money and this is a cheaper way to go. Utah issues non-resident licenses and all valid licenses are recognized in Oklahoma."

I wouldn't say anything about it being "easier" or "quicker."

Bryan

Actually it is their business why, They need to make sure your not some kind of criminal that has skirted around the Oklahoma License Process....because it looks suspicious...Your right your not obligated to tell them anything but your silence will only raise more questions. Just tell them the truth and that will satisfy them...

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only time I've ever had to show my FL non-res permit to a cop in OK, he asked why I had a FL CCW and a IL driver's license. I told him, "IL doesn't issue concealed carry permits so I had to game the system a little," and he laughed and gave me my ticket.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually it is their business why, They need to make sure your not some kind of criminal that has skirted around the Oklahoma License Process....because it looks suspicious...Your right your not obligated to tell them anything but your silence will only raise more questions. Just tell them the truth and that will satisfy them...

Oh yeah. I forgot to consider the "guilty until proven innocent" issue. :)

Bryan

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a retired LEO, I can tell you that a DL from one location, a CCL from another location and the combination of other ID's or tags, etc. throws up flags that the person may need a little extra investigating.

As an example, a traffic stop and the car has an Oklahoma tag, the driver has a Texas DL and a Utah CCL. This is when I check NCIC and criminal inquires with all three states to see if they're wanted or have a criminal history anywhere. Fake ID's are found more frequently everyday.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting a Non Resident Utah permit is NOT skirting any Oklahoma laws. Most people do it simply because it cost less, and takes less time. I have not had any trouble many of those who attend my class are a direct result of LE recommendations.
I would consider making a call to the dept in question and informing them that they may wish to educate those on patrol. I would not make a big deal out of it though.
Those in Texas may make take an issue, because UT does not check to see if you are a month behind on your child support, the same way Texas does.
I would also stop doing whatever it was I was doing that brought so much attention to myself.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Getting a Non Resident Utah permit is NOT skirting any Oklahoma laws. Most people do it simply because it cost less, and takes less time. I have not had any trouble many of those who attend my class are a direct result of LE recommendations.
I would consider making a call to the dept in question and informing them that they may wish to educate those on patrol. I would not make a big deal out of it though.
Those in Texas may make take an issue, because UT does not check to see if you are a month behind on your child support, the same way Texas does.
I would also stop doing whatever it was I was doing that brought so much attention to myself.[/QUOTE]

driving into town is all i was doing, they just wanted to see who was driving the retired OHP car

Latest posts

Top Bottom