Nothing in life is free not even a place to hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
vSome of you may remember previous posts about the headache my brother in law and I have to put up with to hunt on his Step Brothers land. I'll spare you the full history as my blood pressure rises with just the thought.

200 arcres probably 120 or less we are actually hunting on. Not a lot of room for more than a couple of hunters. i had given up on my stand(north wind north facing stand) and was going to throw the pop up on the area of the property we had not hunted yet. South of everyone else. My brother in law is in his stand on the far NW corner of the property. Friend of the land owner is setup in his blind not far from my stand. Land owner decides its the perfect time to bring out his son and one of his friends. 12 and 13. At least he got them orange vests. We will discuss gun safety next. They decide to hang out around some round bales directly in the middle of the other three hunters.

I had my blind setup with me facing west over a creek bed. downhill shot to my side of the creek and (found out at first light) I could get a clear shot over the creek bed to a cattle trail on the other side. Plenty of earth backstop on the other side with no one due west of me. I would have to shoot through trees and to the North to have a chance of hitting anyone.

6:55 on my watch I catch a doe on the far side of the creek. She is walking pretty quck. about a 100 yd shot give or take. rest the rifle on the shooting sticks. She slows down. I reposition and try to calm the nerves as I'm excited, first deer spotted all season. ease the safety off and pull the trigger. Like a fart in the wind that deer disappeared. I'm thinking miss, I was right. No hair, no blood, nothing. Found where she cleared the fenceline and kept on trucking to cover. we searched for sometime to confirm it was a miss.

let me rewind a bit. 6:56 I get a text message from the owner wanting to know where the "F" I was Fing shooting. 7:01 I get a second text from him. Copied to all hunters in the field. His words, "Stand Down Hunt is over." We all ignore him, I'm still in my blind waiting until I go check to see if I hit my deer. Brother in law didn't hear the shot. Friend of the owner heard it but was barely audible in his blind.

Land owner jumps on his 4wheeler and drives all the way to my brother in laws blind to tell him that he(my brother in law) is done hunting and to pull out.

Needless to say after 3 weeks of this crap, the three of us have agreed that come hell or high water we will not be hunting on this property ever again. Just to rediculous with the land owner and his antics.

BUT there is a silver lining to this whole thing. A very generous member here has offered to let me use his lease in NW OK tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow turns to a beneficial day of at least one deer on the ground by the end of the day.

I'm going to take a nap and prepare for tomorrow.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
theres good people on here thats for sure. good luck tomorrow. post up pics of the new state record!

recon3117

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
DANB,

I fell your pain, short story from me, lost my last place to hunt in 07 due to the land owner's wife divorced him. I found another place to hunt for 08 but only 100 acres, it has a few deer and hogs traveling thru. I put out 4 feeders, 4 cameras and 2 - 1/2 acres food plots. I have never got a good opportunity to take a deer, I have taken 3 hogs though.

I get Thanksgiving week off this year expecting to have a good week outdoors
and on Tuesday before opening Saturday the land owner informs me that his wife's brother needs a place for his bil and friend to deer hunt and I am out of luck for the gun season.

Well I am looking for a new place for next year.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DANB,

I fell your pain, short story from me, lost my last place to hunt in 07 due to the land owner's wife divorced him. I found another place to hunt for 08 but only 100 acres, it has a few deer and hogs traveling thru. I put out 4 feeders, 4 cameras and 2 - 1/2 acres food plots. I have never got a good opportunity to take a deer, I have taken 3 hogs though.

I get Thanksgiving week off this year expecting to have a good week outdoors
and on Tuesday before opening Saturday the land owner informs me that his wife's brother needs a place for his bil and friend to deer hunt and I am out of luck for the gun season.

Well I am looking for a new place for next year.

Ouch... All that time and money to be told you are out of luck. That sucks. Sorry to hear it. Hope you find a good spot to hunt where you don't have to deal with an asshat landowner.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put a doe on the ground by 7:20 this morning and a small 6pt buck by 7:30. They fell 10 feet apart.

But not in Amber. Up in Woodward County. Home by noon it was nice.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you feel like telling... I'm curious as to what the land-owner thought was happening when you shot?

Did he not realize that when a bunch of hunters with rifles are on a piece of property, one or more of them might take a shot?

Latest posts

Top Bottom