Nuisance Cattle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have good fence. 3 sides are 5 strand and most is double fence. County road side 5 strand plus 2 strand electric.

92 yo woman is neighbor. She had a bull that was a fence jumper. First 3-4 times, we chased him back and repaired fence. Called her the next couple times. She sent bull to sale barn.

9 months later, grandson comes in with a bull, guy he had been working for, owed him money, gave him bull for pay.
Told him, that bull is probably a fence jumper.

Sure enough, he covered my cows and then disappeared. Found where he went through and chased him back, repaired fence.

A couple days and gone again. Couldn't find him. Called Sheriff, nothing reported. 3 weeks later, grandson calls, says he thinks his bull is in neighbor's barn and her ranch hand is running her cows through.

Called her and she says bull is in her corral. Told her I would be over. Went over and talked with ranch hand, while loading bull into trailer. He said she had told him to put bull in barn and run her cows through.

Started to leave and she walks out. Wanted to make sure my bull was all I had taken. Told her it was, but I would be back for my half of the calves, when they were weaned. She didn't look happy. Had already made arrangements with her hand.

Took bull straight to sale barn.

She doesn't like that I let family and a few friends hunt. Complains of "poachers" on her land.

Last edited:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine that owns land says that OK, TX and xx requires that the person that doesn't want animals on their property to put up the fence. The cattle owner has no duty to fence them in, you have to fence them out. I could be wrong but that is my understanding.

Used to be county by county till the state passed herd law, so no, OK is not open range any longer and hasnt been as a whole for a few decades.

This has been my experience. How I did it at my property. But my neighbors are good

Did a brief google search and this was my reason for getting along. Your lawyer might interpret better

If you don’t fence your land it’s murky area. Joys of owning land.

https://www.findlaw.com/state/oklah...Fences: Maintenance,open as a public commons.

That applies to trees, boundary lines etc. and doesnt apply when animals are involved.

All domestic animals shall be restrained by the owner thereof at all times and seasons of the year from running at large in the State of Oklahoma.
 Damages caused by the domestic animals trespassing upon lands of another shall be recovered in a manner provided by law (remember this, because it will get tweaked later).
 For the purpose of this act, domestic animals shall include cattle, horses, swine, sheep, goats, exotic livestock and all other animals not considered wild.
 An owner of (or person who keeps) cattle, horses, sheep, or other domestic animals has a duty to exercise ordinary care to keep them from running at large AND is responsible for all damage to property and injuries to persons that are directly caused by the domestic animals.
 HOWEVER – an owner is not liable for damages caused by domestic animals that have escaped unless it is shown that the owner did not exercise ordinary care in confining them in a properly maintained enclosure that is generally adequate to restrain the domestic animals

https://extension.okstate.edu/progr...fence-law-and-pasture-leasing-in-oklahoma.pdf

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of falls along the lines of hitting deer with your vehicle. When you take possession, you are no longer legal.

I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.
ive made/collected/eaten a fair amount of roadkill and picked up a lot of other things that i just wanted to look at. you can legally possess most road kill in oklahoma, you just might need to make a call to your local GW first. ive found them to be pretty accommodating

but i agree with you, its nonsense that you cant just take it no questions asked.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There has been several recent threads similar to this. It always cracks me up all the people saying to “shoot ‘em and eat them” lol… aside from that being the wrong thing to do, have any of y’all ever butcher a full grown cow? It’s quite the job…
It's legally "not the right thing". Morally, it's exactly the right thing.

I simply don't want to be tied up in court because some lowlife won't take care of his livestock.

As for "quite the job", I can assure you, I'm up to it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There has been several recent threads similar to this. It always cracks me up all the people saying to “shoot ‘em and eat them” lol… aside from that being the wrong thing to do, have any of y’all ever butcher a full grown cow? It’s quite the job…

Have butchered several, as well as hogs, deer, and elk. Job, yes, but not insurmountable.

Shoot them, in self defense; no problem.
Once you butcher, it becomes rustling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom