Obama announces EO plans for the immediate future

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a thread here a while back... There was a crime committed with a Glock (don't recall the model). People in the area who owned the specific model were visited. Evidence that the data gathered during a gun purchase is not destroyed. They already have a gun registry. It's just not "official."

I believe you're talking about the Taylor Placker & Skyla Whitaker murders. They were looking for a Glock 22.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a thread here a while back... There was a crime committed with a Glock (don't recall the model). People in the area who owned the specific model were visited. Evidence that the data gathered during a gun purchase is not destroyed. They already have a gun registry. It's just not "official."
About 15 years ago the BATF contacted me about a gun I had sold privately. I had bought it at a gun shop and had done the background check. Two years ago a guy I know sold three Saigas at the gunshow (private sale) and about six months later the BATF contacted him and said they had been used in the Mexico drug war. They knew exactly how many guns he had bought over the last few years. They can track them down.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the manufacturer to the original purchaser, there is a paper trail. It is not in the possession for the feds and would take various amounts of leg work to track down. Even then it would stop at the original purchaser. That's not even remotely close to an actual gun registry.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the manufacturer to the original purchaser, there is a paper trail. It is not in the possession for the feds and would take various amounts of leg work to track down. Even then it would stop at the original purchaser. That's not even remotely close to an actual gun registry.

This !

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That is still pretty damn close. All they have to do is call those docs in and compile them- boom de facto registry

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

You believe the serial number of the firearm and the name/SS# of the individual purchasing it when that call is made to NICS just disappears?

I wish I could be so so trusting.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You believe the serial number of the firearm and the name/SS# of the individual purchasing it when that call is made to NICS just disappears? I wish I could be so so trusting.
NICS calls do not include serial nos. Nor do they include make, model, or even caliber of firearm. That info stays with dealer.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You believe the serial number of the firearm and the name/SS# of the individual purchasing it when that call is made to NICS just disappears?

I wish I could be so so trusting.

You sure about that? Long gun or hand gun is the only info I am aware that is passed along, the SN info stays in the FFL log book.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You sure about that? Long gun or hand gun is the only info I am aware that is passed along, the SN info stays in the FFL log book.
There have been many reports of the ATF taking scans/photos of those logs, and even taking the books off-premise for periods of time.

It would be very easy for those records to be turned into a database. Yes, parts would be outdated (due to firearms being resold privately), but it would still be a very solid foundation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom