Official 2015-2016 deer hunting season discussion thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hadn't seen a deer until 6:40 when I caught the big cull 7 pt slipping in from about 150 yards. He took his sweet time coming, and when he got to about 50 yards, he stopped like he knew something wasn't right. He sniffed and sniffed and turned his head all around trying to find a booger, but he couldn't find one and came on into range. When he got inside 30 yards and stopped, I let one fly, and it was a solid hit. He took about 10 steps and started stumbling, and he piled up in front of me about 60 yards away.
IMG_4413.jpg

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We , myself & hunting partner was drawn out for the PCMS army site for antelope after 10 preference points ( 11 years ) . After jumping thru all their hoops , which was a lot . we were ready to hunt . PCMS contains 236,000 acres . We drove around and walked for hours seeing only 6 buck antelope ( including the two we shot ) They were all about the same size so I spotted one from the truck , made a short stalk and let the 308 do the rest . About the same happened with my partner , spotted from the truck made a 200 yard stalk and made the shot .Good hunt and safe trip back home to our wives & family .Both goats are 13 & 5/8 long .

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hadn't seen a deer until 6:40 when I caught the big cull 7 pt slipping in from about 150 yards. He took his sweet time coming, and when he got to about 50 yards, he stopped like he knew something wasn't right. He sniffed and sniffed and turned his head all around trying to find a booger, but he couldn't find one and came on into range. When he got inside 30 yards and stopped, I let one fly, and it was a solid hit. He took about 10 steps and started stumbling, and he piled up in front of me about 60 yards away.
View attachment 50931

Congrats on the buck! I've got a cull that's worst than that one I'm looking for. Still its a big bodied buck. Get a weight?

We , myself & hunting partner was drawn out for the PCMS army site for antelope after 10 preference points ( 11 years ) . After jumping thru all their hoops , which was a lot . we were ready to hunt . PCMS contains 236,000 acres . We drove around and walked for hours seeing only 6 buck antelope ( including the two we shot ) They were all about the same size so I spotted one from the truck , made a short stalk and let the 308 do the rest . About the same happened with my partner , spotted from the truck made a 200 yard stalk and made the shot .Good hunt and safe trip back home to our wives & family .Both goats are 13 & 5/8 long .

Congrats on the speed goats you guys!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW! Field dressed? I knew he looked big.

Oh no, that's live weight, but I really believe he's a little heavier. My scale has been off for a couple years, and I just never think to buy another when I'm in Atwoods.

In my 12 years hunting up here, I've found that really mature (5 yr and up) bucks along the river will usually weigh between 225 and 275 lbs on the hoof, and a 4 year old will weigh around 200 lbs.

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been mowing johnson grass at my mother-in-law's place the last 2-3 evenings enjoying the cool temps and watching does and small bucks heading to the corn pile each evening. Tonight I didn't see any deer until it was almost dark and couldn't figure out where the regulars were at until I shut the tractor off and it sounded like a live band was playing at the neighbors...I'm serious. No wonder those deer didn't show up they're probably miles away now!

Latest posts

Top Bottom