Official 2015-2016 deer hunting season discussion thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they're bedding close by it won't work of course, but if you know that they may be traveling for a few minutes before they get to you, it may give you some time. Kind of a risky move, but sometimes you have to hunt out of the box............which is easier out here where the wind helps cover you up. (except for the last week the wind has been almost zero everyday.)

I have a small tree line and what looks like a small dried up creek between me and where they cross the fence. I seen deer about 40/50 yards on the other side of the fence (fence is about 70/80 yards from blind) around 7:15pm Fri evening I left the blind a half hour after that at 7:45pm. Next day I pulled the chip and saw they came in at 8:02pm.
If I move to the other side of the tree line the neighbor can see me. He drove his property line on Friday and that's when I saw the deer.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So i did something I am not sure I will do again. I let a yearling doe live although I had a perfect shot. She was sooooo small and naive. My buddy was able to call her back to us three times in a row. She must have been really desperate for attention.

My main aim is to put meat in the freezer, but yet I did not close the deal with this one. Would you have done the same? or put a little...but very tender meat in the freezer?

Congrats to all the fine buck and doe harvesters!!

Yes congrats to all who have connected, I would have done the same thing, but I always let the little, young ones walk, I hunt for meat and for bone, I try to shoot the biggest does I can get on.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hadn't seen a deer until 6:40 when I caught the big cull 7 pt slipping in from about 150 yards. He took his sweet time coming, and when he got to about 50 yards, he stopped like he knew something wasn't right. He sniffed and sniffed and turned his head all around trying to find a booger, but he couldn't find one and came on into range. When he got inside 30 yards and stopped, I let one fly, and it was a solid hit. He took about 10 steps and started stumbling, and he piled up in front of me about 60 yards away.
View attachment 50931

Congrats Retrieverman! That's a great buck, cull or not.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My main aim is to put meat in the freezer, but yet I did not close the deal with this one. Would you have done the same? or put a little...but very tender meat in the freezer?

I would have let her walk as well. Ideally, I like to find a big old barren doe. I will hold out for quite a while before shooting something else. But, I always let the little ones walk.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just about closed the deal from the front yard this evening. Standing at the kitchen window at 7pm and see 3 doe and 2 fawn making their trek to the bean field. Usually they're across the road on the neighbors but not tonight! Take off for the garage, grab the Matthews and range finder. They're still below the ledge south of the house when I get to the fence corner. About the time the pop over the ledge at 60y, a vehicle come down the road from the south and turns at the intersection and turns east. They get jumpy, hop the fence, cross the road/fence on to the neighbors.........hunt over :(

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you gave it the good old college try Okie! no shame in trying! I used to have deer crossing my land here near lake arcadia all the time, gated communities and yuppieville has ruined that. I would be living in the freaking boonies if my wife wasn't so down on the drive and some of the small school districts around edmond.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie shooter 777 that deer looks a little bigger than my 125 shooter buck target so i would put him in the 130's somewhere, probably on the high end of 130 with those G3's

Latest posts

Top Bottom