Official 2015-2016 deer hunting season discussion thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! This is the slowest I think I've ever seen deer movement.
This morning I hunted the same new stand as Saturday morning, and the only deer I saw was a GIANT 8 point that I've never seen or had on camera before. He was following the road to my stand but veered off before getting within shooting range, so I investigated his path when I got down and decided to set up a ground blind and camera to try to get a better look at him. I hunted my normal evening stand and saw a doe and yearling, but I'll be in the ground blind in the morning. After doing the math on what this new deer has on top of his head, I'm almost positive he's going to die if he come back in the morning.

Is it just my place or is deer movement slow in other parts of the state?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! This is the slowest I think I've ever seen deer movement.
This morning I hunted the same new stand as Saturday morning, and the only deer I saw was a GIANT 8 point that I've never seen or had on camera before. He was following the road to my stand but veered off before getting within shooting range, so I investigated his path when I got down and decided to set up a ground blind and camera to try to get a better look at him. I hunted my normal evening stand and saw a doe and yearling, but I'll be in the ground blind in the morning. After doing the math on what this new deer has on top of his head, I'm almost positive he's going to die if he come back in the morning.

Is it just my place or is deer movement slow in other parts of the state?

Its slow in my area. No wind seems to be the problem? All of my game cam pics are nocturnal.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a buddy who hunts the river in Major county, and lives for these calm evenings like we've had, and he's always seen deer on windless evening, whereas myself on the other hand won't hardly see a thing. He's seeing a ton of deer right now, some fairly nice ones too, and all well before last light. We've been comparing notes on this for over a decade too............If I don't have some wind, history and record keeping say stay home.......or go hunt the river with him :)

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well I think one of my main places may not be so good this year I usually have 3 or 4 mature bucks on the place this time of year. But hadn't seen any until this one.

I think I found the problem 1 mile from my place there is a 160 that never has any cattle on it and is always grown up. Drove by there to today and they have planted some kind of red top cane like 40 acres of it and with all the rain it has good heads on it. They have 2 shooting towers that haven't ever been there before. So I am afraid they my not cut it. If they don't it is going to be a long season. the stuff looks like this

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
After that grazer turns brown, they won't eat on it......unless the heads make it to the ground somehow
......and it's obviously for the deer or they would have baled or harvested it already.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okie I am sure its for deer like you said sorghum would of already been cut before it turns brown it has real good heads on it some it on hills is only about 3' short enough for deer and the taller stuff is already starting to bend over from the head weight. Deer love living in that stuff. Its I have never had any completion several hundred acres around me that's doesn't have but one wheat field so I pull a lot deer with a good deer buffet. Oh well it is what it is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom