Official 2015-2016 deer hunting season discussion thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So just to be clear since I'm new to this hunting stuff, since I didn't take a buck, I can get another doe for holiday antlerless Dec. 18-27th?
You can get an antlerless deer for the Holiday Antlerless Season, you do have to purchase the Holiday Antlerless License (deer tag). Antlerless deer taken during the special Holiday Antlerless Season do N.O.T. count towards season limit.
I am thinking you have to buy another tag
Correct
Unless you are at you limit for doe, I think so.
* You should be able to use your Buck tag for the Holiday doe.
Nothing correct here, see my reply above please.

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to have been a lot of killing going on this weekend. I got in my favorite stand Saturday morning and it was pretty slow for the first 2 hours. Around 9:00am, I spot a buck walking on 3 legs. It was kinda a sad deal, as it was not even putting it's left front on the ground. I decided I had better shoot this guy, although we have been making a conscious effort to not shoot little bucks! I dropped him where he stood.
i67.tinypic.com_j7buow.jpg

When I got up to him, I was glad I ended his suffering. It seems however his leg was not his only issue. Here is a picture of the leg injury
i65.tinypic.com_wvwvud.jpg

I know, that is kinda gross and sorry about that, but the following is ugly too. Just curious if any of you guys have ever seen anything like this. following will be a picture of his rear end. As you can see, the tail is completely gone, as well as a small portion of his rear. Obviously Coyotes got to him, so we spent all weekend speculating on what the deal was. Was he hit by a car (killed 1 mile North of I-40), did ice cause a falling limb to pin him to the ground where a coyote could get a hold of him? Was he carelessly shot by another hunter? I guess we will never know, but I'd love to hear some of your guys thoughts?
i63.tinypic.com_8xj4sy.jpg

i64.tinypic.com_14cbj2q.jpg

So, for the Happy ending. since I used my rifle buck tag to end this guys suffering, I decided to get out Sunday with the Longbow. I moved to a different stand. Around 8:45, I have a coyote run behind me and turn down into the creek I was sitting in. That gave me time to grab my bow. he turned to the south in front of me at 25 yards. that is stretching the range I like to shoot with the long bow, but I thought what the heck on a coyote. I made a fantastic shot and heard him drop about 40 yards away. The Simmon Tree Shark did it's job and I had my first archery coyote. My wife speculated that that might be sweet justice if this guy happened to be the one who chewed on the buck.
i64.tinypic.com_24w58c1.jpg

i66.tinypic.com_6yedz6.jpg

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe an over excited hunter shot at him? My brother and I were out yesterday morning. I saw three does and took one of them. The other two ran west about 100 yards and hopped the fence. Good grief, I never heard so much shooting in my life! Had to have been at least two shooters, heard about 8 rounds. Those idiots were just throwing lead.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Oklahomabassin, what I was told was wrong. I need to look at the regs instead of campfire talk. lol
No problem. Yep it doesn't take long for regulations to become twisted between campfire talk, or Facebook, forums, and sporting goods talk.

Side story. Other night in Wal Mart, a man and woman had a Marlin tube fed .22 on a counter and were looking at it. The man then asked what is this "point one seven...H..M" interupted by the sporting goods employee "Oh that is 17 HMR, that is basically a coyote sniper rifle....yada yada."
I walk away trying not to giggle.
I walk by again and listen again for some more jewels. The man asks what would be a good deer rifle for the woman. The S.G. employee pulls out a youth model .243 and says "the youth model would be the way to go for a woman because the draw length (serious he said draw length) is shorter for women." She wasn't a petite woman and I would guess at 5'8-5'10.

Latest posts

Top Bottom