Official 2015-2016 deer hunting season discussion thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't see a deer all day, 2 different farms, guess I'm not living right...lol, I'll be out dark to dark tomorrow, brown it's down, except for little bucks and up and comers and does I don't want to shoot, oh never mind! I'm a deer watcher, not killer I guess

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughters and I have had a rough go of it this year. 3 seasons and only one doe that I took last week. This afternoon, we sat in 3 locations where we could maximize our visibility. My daughter was only 100 yards from me, just over a little hilltop. About 5:00pm, I hear her shoot followed by a distinct "whop." She radios me and says, "I got her." I asked if she was a big one and if she saw where she went. My daughter responded with, "She's the biggest doe I've seen and I dropped her in her tracks." That being the case, I told her to stay put and watch for a buck. Sure enough, 20 mins later, a small 7 pt walks up and starts sniffing the downed deer, but my daughter let him walk because he was "too small." Keep in mind that this is a kid that has killed 8 deer now, but never an antlered buck.

So... We go to get her deer at dark and discover why it was so big. It was a 1 1/2 year old buck that had broken one antler completely off and only had a nub remaining on the other side. She had made a 110 yd neck shot with her 300 Blackout, right where the neck connects to the shoulders, so no wasted meat.
image.jpg

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No great story to tell, but tagged out this afternoon. Had two big does, a yearling doe and a young 5-6 point buck at the feeder at 75 yards by 1715; had told myself I would only take a close shot, so when the two big does got spooky and came to about 50 yards, I cocked the Rossi 45 Colt lever action and gave her one. She went straight down, but got up a minute or two later and tried walking off, so I put another in her and put her down for good. 250 grain Nosler hollowpoint over some Alliant 2400, averaged 1100 fps over the chronograph when I first loaded them. First deer I've ever shot at with open sights, so I'm happy!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis! I actually bought this little rifle off Calamity Jake on here, and I really like it! First game I've shot at with it, and got two good pass thru's.

I have my .45LC in the backpack to take out tomorrow. 240 Grain Hornady SST HP.
Want to take one with the pistol this year, but this wet swampy weather has the deer staying out of my area.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats Clint! I finally decided to pull the trigger this morning after watching for 12-13 days. Nice big nanny doe, weighed 115 dressed, should be good eating. Now if I could just get a good buck to do the same thing.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449440196.245531.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom