Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look people, the truth is, we’re all going to die if we don’t stay home and avoid each other. More stimulus is coming. Just make do with they give you.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/13/abb...-cases-raising-questions-nyu-study-finds.html

Abbott Labs’ rapid coronavirus diagnostic test that’s used by the White House could be missing nearly half of positive cases, according to a new study from researchers at New York University, which describes the test as “unacceptable.”

The study, which has not been peer-reviewed, found Abbott’s ID NOW test missed a third of samples collected with nasopharyngeal swabs that tested positive with a test from rival Cepheid. When using samples collected with “dry nasal swabs,” the Abbott test missed more than 48% of positive cases, the study said. Both nasopharyngeal swabs and dry nasal swabs are collected from the nostril, but the former is inserted much deeper into the nose.

The methodology and the study have not yet undergone critique from colleagues and have not been edited or published by an academic journal.

Abbott Labs refuted the study’s claims that its rapid coronavirus diagnostic test could be missing nearly half of positive cases.

The Abbott ID NOW test demonstrated 91% sensitivity and 100% specificity in a separate study conducted in Washington state, the company said in a series of tweets Wednesday evening.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the end of the day, what goes through my head is can you really avoid exposure. If I were in charge, it would be carry on as normal. Masks are recommended. You do you. This is somewhat based on hindsight though.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, nice try. My response was in no way a "hissy fit." :D

And again, that ratio is meaningless. If only a small percentage of the pop is tested (say 3%), then they could all test positive but known active cases would remain to be be 3% of the pop.

But I'm sure (or at least, I hope) you're smart enough to realize that. ;)
:drunk2:

Sure it is, you didn't like what I posted so you want everyone tested, which isn't possible right now. However, by your measure every metric of any virus that is released is meaningless because not everyone is tested. To simplify it for you..... Is everyone tested for the flu every year?

Let's DO put on our thinking cap though, and realize that we probably know about the majority of cases where clinical symptoms are present. If you disagree, great, provide all of these individuals that are at home on a vent or under critical care, otherwise, it will be your little secret.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the end of the day, what goes through my head is can you really avoid exposure. If I were in charge, it would be carry on as normal. Masks are recommended. You do you. This is somewhat based on hindsight though.
Yeah, glad I'm not in charge. I believe masks and social distancing have helped, and (if strictly adhered to) the temporary "shelter in place" should have helped. However (from all the first-hand reports about Lowe's), adherence seems to be a major issue.

But I think everyone realizes that we can't shut down the country indefinitely. :/

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting and timely reading..."Unrestricted Warfare"
A book on military strategy written in 1999 by two colonels in the People's Liberation Army, Qiao Liang (乔良) and Wang Xiangsui (王湘穗). Its primary concern is how a nation such as China can defeat a technologically superior opponent, such as the United States, through a variety of means. Rather than focusing on direct military confrontation, this book instead examines a variety of other means including economic warfare, hacking and other strategies.

A must read for anyone wanting to understand China's political leaders' mindset.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting and timely reading..."Unrestricted Warfare"

https://www.organiser.org/Encyc/202...arfare-and-the-Quest-for-Global-Hegemony.html

China virus in the name of COVID-19 is a strategy of 'Unrestricted Warfare' that has used to destroy American global hegemony. In this process, China has also ruined Europe and other parts of the World. It is a fact that China cannot defeat America militarily, so it has used this strategy to get economic leverage to leave the Americans behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom