Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It is your right not to wear a mask. It's also your right to jump from the top of a building. Simply put, it's stupid not to take precautions where we can until treatments improve and possibly a vaccine is available.

Since masks aren't fool proof, and soap and water are, that's the route I'll choose. If the the greatest medical minds waffle back and forth for months about the effectiveness of a mask, I don’t need to hear much more. Jumping off a roof is a guaranteed outcome by the way, it's not comparable in this conversation unless we want to mention parachutes or nets. Going to the store with or without a mask does or doesn't guarantee anything.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since masks aren't fool proof, and soap and water are, that's the route I'll choose. If the the greatest medical minds waffle back and forth for months about the effectiveness of a mask, I don’t need to hear much more. Jumping off a roof is a guaranteed outcome by the way, it's not comparable in this conversation unless we want to mention parachutes or nets. Going to the store with or without a mask does or doesn't guarantee anything.

Yes. But, someone jumping from a roof does not effect me. A person being socially irresponsible, possibly spreading the virus, does effect me.

The latest guidance is the virus is short-lived on surfaces. Spread is likely through aerosol of the virus (normal talking in crowded, confined spaces). Washing hands and using sanitizer is likely less effective than wearing a mask. As you said, the information changes daily as the doctors and scientist learn more.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yes. But, someone jumping from a roof does not effect me. A person being socially irresponsible, possibly spreading the virus, does effect me.

The latest guidance is the virus is short-lived on surfaces. Spread is likely through aerosol of the virus (normal talking in crowded, confined spaces). Washing hands and using sanitizer is likely less effective than wearing a mask. As you said, the information changes daily as the doctors and scientist learn more.

That could be said for anything where you come in contact with other people not just covid. The back and forth whether asymptomatic people are contagious, so much contradictory information with all things covid has led me to be an extreme doubter other than the risk to the elderly is high.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Can you point to the proof of aerosolization spread of asymptomatic carriers?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's easy to suggest the experts are waffling on what is and isn't effective means of protection. It's to be expected when a new disease hops out there among the population. Facts tend to change as information is learned. As the virus spreads to more and more people, they've determined that while the virus can live a long time on surfaces, you're unlikely to contract it through touch. Still, you'll want to wash hands as often as normal, but the only other method of spread is through aerosol transmission. My own parents are hard headed about this. They believe their god will protect them from the covid and refuse to wear masks. It's gonna be one of those things, like most older people, where they don't change their minds until they experience it first hand. Then they'll be preaching masks and such. Ironically, the process of natural selection will rule the rest of this pandemic.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't state asymptomatic carriers. I don't think the medical community has that figured out. I'll look for a link. I saw a couple of different doctors interviewed on television yesterday stating the growing evidence of community spread by aerosol in crowded places.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
It's easy to suggest the experts are waffling on what is and isn't effective means of protection. It's to be expected when a new disease hops out there among the population. Facts tend to change as information is learned. As the virus spreads to more and more people, they've determined that while the virus can live a long time on surfaces, you're unlikely to contract it through touch. Still, you'll want to wash hands as often as normal, but the only other method of spread is through aerosol transmission. My own parents are hard headed about this. They believe their god will protect them from the covid and refuse to wear masks. It's gonna be one of those things, like most older people, where they don't change their minds until they experience it first hand. Then they'll be preaching masks and such. Ironically, the process of natural selection will rule the rest of this pandemic.

We know several who've had it, both young and old. The older two folks struggled but recovered, the younger 3 never knew they had it till they were tested. All 3 married with with families and NONE of the other family members ever caught it, neither did the spouses of the older two gentlemen that we know who caught it. Honestly I see more younger folks wearing masks than older folks by far.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We know several who've had it, both young and old. The older two folks struggled but recovered, the younger 3 never knew they had it till they were tested. All 3 married with with families and NONE of the other family members ever caught it, neither did the spouses of the older two gentlemen that we know who caught it. Honestly I see more younger folks wearing masks than older folks by far.

Me too. My neighbor had it, he's older and had a rough time with it. He recovered. I fully believe most people that have it don't even know it. I helped my neighbor move a bunch of woodworking tools the day before he got tested, I was asked to quarantine by the state, I did. They tested me twice, both negative...I mentioned that I think I already had it, both antibody tests showed that was the case. I didn't even know it. Had a big cough in February, the whole family did, but coronavirus wasn't a thing at that time yet. I think they'll determine that this thing affects everyone differently based on DNA characteristics like strep does, but I'm no scientist.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a link from the National Academy of Sciences to an applicable study.

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/22/11875

Abstract:

"Speech droplets generated by asymptomatic carriers of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) are increasingly considered to be a likely mode of disease transmission. Highly sensitive laser light scattering observations have revealed that loud speech can emit thousands of oral fluid droplets per second. In a closed, stagnant air environment, they disappear from the window of view with time constants in the range of 8 to 14 min, which corresponds to droplet nuclei of ca. 4 μm diameter, or 12- to 21-μm droplets prior to dehydration. These observations confirm that there is a substantial probability that normal speaking causes airborne virus transmission in confined environments."

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see "probability" and "likely", not proven. Were any of the droplets examined to show the presence of the SARS virus and if so, did any of these viruses in the droplets survive during or after the dehydration? How closely are the SARS virus and the covid19 virus related? Were any of the speech droplets from symptomatic cases tested? Has this same speech droplets test been conducted on people who have the covid19, either symptomatic or asymptomatic, or is it just assumed that the covid19 is spread in this same manner?

Regardles, if the covid can be transmitted via loud speech, screw the masks and just talk softly. Keep the air in enclosed spaces warm and dry. YMMV.

Woody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom