Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm so confused on what to really think.
Saw 2-3 interviews with Drs. and one will say this is not that bad, that 80% of people have nothing more than a cold like condition and the other 20 may need hospitalized. Then another Dr. claims its the worst thing she ever seen.

both could certainly be true.

In places where it hasn't peaked, and/or where distancing is working, it might not be so bad. And some states are simply healthier than others. But in places that are getting hit hard, or have a population that is more at risk, it could be the worst thing those doctors have seen.

The way a ER doctor friend phrased it, '80% will get it and recover, 1% will die. What we do now determines what happens to the 19%.'

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Including damn near every doctor in the country from what I've seen. Nice broad brush stroke there.

On another site there is a "rather large" corona thread with several MDs, one of whom is an actual Immunologist, along with several lab techs and PhD students who are starting their residency, but currently working in labs working with this exact sort of stuff. Every one of them to a person was kinda like "Meh. Ain't worried" when this thing started. They were all under the tent in the "overblown" bandwagon. Fast forward to today and they've all modified their positions but they're still not running around with their hair on fire like some in other areas (media). We've seen the same exact thing with the folks out of the CDC and various state official types too, at least those of us who are paying attention.
The people that are paid to get these things right are the CDC, Pentagon, and some of the intelligence agencies.
Deep state or not, they were all ringing alarm bells in January.

When Sen Burr told that group of donors this would be "nearest thing to 1918 pandemic in our lifetimes", he got that right out of a deep state assessment he had seen and sold all his stocks.
Plenty of people knew.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"nearest thing to 1918 pandemic in our lifetimes"
Plenty of people knew.
The key word there is "nearest".

This is no H1N1 event in terms of death. That's what the media and all the agencies aren't telling everyone. Sure there may be similar numbers of infections but the 1918 pandemic killed people of all ages. By and large this one is not. Still way too early to make that call and it most certainly was 3 months ago...

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is no H1N1 event in terms of death. That's what the media and all the agencies aren't telling everyone. Sure there may be similar numbers of infections but the 1918 pandemic killed people of all ages. By and large this one is not. Still way too early to make that call and it most certainly was 3 months ago...
When he said "nearest" I think he meant that no 2 epidemics are identical.
Rather, he was saying that nothing we have seen since 1918 compares with what's coming.
Whatever he meant, it was enough for him to all his stocks.

And we've only had 5,120 deaths so far, but 1,000 of them were yesterday.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

of course, with better communication and understanding of virology, the world has gone to great lengths to help itself. Many places have been proactive instead of reactive, which was difficult to do in 1918. And this is killing people of all ages, but generally those who have some underlying health issue, which is a very real concern for a lot of americans.

We were also told it was going to be similar flu, which we (well, most anyway) know wasn't not true. Now we are being told as many as 200,000 people may die.

But to @Hobbes' point, there is mounting evidence that warnings were given (see the good senator repeating TV talking points in public, but telling others to be ready), why they weren't heeded will be something for politicians and historians to debate for years to come.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes because the only one we had telling us gloom and doom was ZH and his credibility is questionable at best.
The CDC and WHO werent telling us the truth.
I fully see how my outlook has changed. Now get on your Fin flight to Kentucky and STFU, I aint got time for you Iggy

My credibility is whatever you want to make it, after this I would think it would be gleaming.....I have called this play by ****ing play.

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The people that are paid to get these things right are the CDC, Pentagon, and some of the intelligence agencies.

Intel agencies? Talk to anyone who is in the intel field (who are actually in it with appropriate clearances not just some jabroni that has had an intelligence briefing 12 years ago for some reason) and they will tell you that intelligence in the US is abysmal. These fools (meaning every talking head on TV and radio) don't know what they don't know. Testing? Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't (a full 1/3 have false negatives?!?). Treatments? Maybe..hell, we don't really know. We will know so much more about this about a year after it's over with. And we will see that what we did to "combat it" will have been wrong, too. Best thing I can do for me and my family is to just assume that EVERY SINGLE PERSON I SEE has the virus. EVERYONE. Once you go along with that and plan accordingly, the chances of catching it probably go down by a significant amount.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When he said "nearest" I think he meant that no 2 epidemics are identical.
Rather, he was saying that nothing we have seen since 1918 compares with what's coming.
Whatever he meant, it was enough for him to all his stocks.

And we've only had 5,120 deaths so far, but 1,000 of them were yesterday.

And it will be 1,500 or 2,000 the next day, then 3,000-4,000 then 6,000-7,500 and so on and so on for weeks, every day deaths will increase in number exponentially.

I still believe 200,000 deaths is a lowball estimate. I would think that would be just nursing homes in the USA alone.....by July.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom