Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Intel agencies? Talk to anyone who is in the intel field (who are actually in it with appropriate clearances not just some jabroni that has had an intelligence briefing 12 years ago for some reason) and they will tell you that intelligence in the US is abysmal. These fools (meaning every talking head on TV and radio) don't know what they don't know. Testing? Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't (a full 1/3 have false negatives?!?). Treatments? Maybe..hell, we don't really know. We will know so much more about this about a year after it's over with. And we will see that what we did to "combat it" will have been wrong, too. Best thing I can do for me and my family is to just assume that EVERY SINGLE PERSON I SEE has the virus. EVERYONE. Once you go along with that and plan accordingly, the chances of catching it probably go down by a significant amount.

I believe there are now reports that were presented months ago saying that this could become a real issue, though.

And to your final point, even CNN's Dr. Sanja Gupta was saying on March 18 to act as if you might be carrying the virus and distance yourself as you would if you knew you were sick. Yet here we are, with many places lacking a shelter in place order, only recent moves to curb beachgoers and the governor of Georgia only 'recently learning' that people could be sick without showing symptoms.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
of course, with better communication and understanding of virology, the world has gone to great lengths to help itself. Many places have been proactive instead of reactive, which was difficult to do in 1918. And this is killing people of all ages, but generally those who have some underlying health issue, which is a very real concern for a lot of americans.

We were also told it was going to be similar flu, which we (well, most anyway) know wasn't not true. Now we are being told as many as 200,000 people may die.

But to @Hobbes' point, there is mounting evidence that warnings were given (see the good senator repeating TV talking points in public, but telling others to be ready), why they weren't heeded will be something for politicians and historians to debate for years to come.
Nice generalization!

Of course it's killing people of all ages. Don't they all? But what you guys are apparently purposely leaving out is that those 42 and 29 year olds who are in good shape and still die are so small percentage that they can't even be statistically considered. Funny how that works. With H1N1, SARS, MERS, Ebola, ad nauseum, that wasn't the case. But it is the case with COVID. So far anyway. So yea, in terms of mortality, at this time, and certainly in the time up to now, it kinda looks like a real bad flu. Y'all keep drinking that CNN drink and calling on the .gov to weld our doors shut. What percentage of those that get this don't even need hospitalization? What will it end up being? Currently it's 7.5% without a risk factor that do go to the hospital and a big portion walk out of there according to CDC. So not all that doom and gloom. Sorry to ruin y'all's mantra.
:drunk2:

Last edited:

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And it will be 1,500 or 2,000 the next day, then 3,000-4,000 then 6,000-7,500 and so on and so on for weeks, every day deaths will increase in number exponentially.

I still believe 200,000 deaths is a lowball estimate. I would think that would be just nursing homes in the USA alone.....by July.
Well, when the last spare ventilator is gone and the last respiratory therapist is overwhelmed then the death rate will point to the 2 o'clock angle instead of the 3 o'clock.
That's a given.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice generalization!

Of course it's killing people of all ages. Don't they all? But what you guys are apparently purposely leaving out is that those 42 and 29 year olds who are in good shape and still die are so small percentage that they can't even be statistically considered. Funny how that works. With H1N1, SARS, MERS, Ebola, ad nauseum, that wasn't the case. But it is the case with COVID. So far anyway. So yea, in terms of mortality, at this time, and certainly in the time up to now, it kinda looks like a real bad flu. Y'all keep drinking that CNN drink and calling on the .gov to weld our doors shut. What percentage of those that get this don't even need hospitalization? What will it end up being? Currently it's 7.5% without a risk factor according to CDC. So not all that doom and gloom. Sorry to ruin y'all's mantra.

What about trump saying we could see 200k deaths even with the strict quarantines in place? Look at Italy. Don’t forget the flu kills a lot of people. So.... something more contagious and also 10x more deadly or more is a really serious thing. Are you staying home? Do you take any precautions when you go out? That’s all anyone is asking.

If we end up with 20k deaths even with extreme measures, imagine what it would have been. Millions. Our health systems are already struggling and it’s just getting started.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice generalization!

Of course it's killing people of all ages. Don't they all? But what you guys are apparently purposely leaving out is that those 42 and 29 year olds who are in good shape and still die are so small percentage that they can't even be statistically considered. Funny how that works. With H1N1, SARS, MERS, Ebola, ad nauseum, that wasn't the case. But it is the case with COVID. So far anyway. So yea, in terms of mortality, at this time, and certainly in the time up to now, it kinda looks like a real bad flu. Y'all keep drinking that CNN drink and calling on the .gov to weld our doors shut. What percentage of those that get this don't even need hospitalization? What will it end up being? Currently it's 7.5% without a risk factor according to CDC. So not all that doom and gloom. Sorry to ruin y'all's mantra.

I'm not leaving anything out. I was very clear that the young people it was killing tended to have preexisting conditions.

And who said i was calling on anyone to weld doors shut? Are you welded in? Do we need to send for help for you?

And that 7.5% you just quoted is with with extreme countermeasures. But yeah... it's all about CNN...

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about trump saying we could see 200k deaths even with the strict quarantines in place? Look at Italy. Don’t forget the flu kills a lot of people. So.... something more contagious and also 10x more deadly or more is a really serious thing. Are you staying home? Do you take any precautions when you go out? That’s all anyone is asking.

If we end up with 20k deaths even with extreme measures, imagine what it would have been. Millions. Our health systems are already struggling and it’s just getting started.

shhh, don't let facts get in the way of things. He wouldn't believe them anyway. After all, it's just a real bad flu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom