Official Piece of Crap 1911 Build Thread!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Chambered the barrel tonight. Couldn't get a decent picture of anything representative of work accomplished so I got nothing new.

On a side note, I ******* hate KKM barrels now, they are not short chambered, they are no chambered. It took me 2.5 hours to do the chamber.

I'll get the lower lugs done and slidestop/recoil stuff in and give you guys an update in a few days.

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey...T'99

The chamber looks good but the mark on the right might be the extractor nose hitting the barrel,that is if the extractor is installed in the slide. The cut out notch on the right is supposed to relieve the barrel to prevent this contact. So I suggest that you ink up the barrel with some magic marker in that slot and check the clearance. The mark in the photo might only be a smudge mark and not be a mark from the ejector but I suggest you check this before firing to make sure with the ejector installed. You also need to check the headspace on the barrel chamber...just because it is polished doesn't mean the depth of the chamber is correct. Headspace .40S&W=.857".
Headspace is the distance from the breachface to the case mouth rim in the bottom of the chamber. Good luck with your project.

Barry

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dr. Greyson,

The extractor isn't in the slide yet, the mark is just stray ink.

The chamber isn't finished yet, my go gauge which measures around 0.851 I think (not at home right now to measure it, I'm sitting waiting for a kit to tag) is still few thousandths above the hood and the barrel will not slip up into the lugs with the go gauge inserted into the chamber. I just wanted to trim a case down and check firing pin alignment before I did anything to the bottom lugs. Thought it may be a good time to check for problems before I removed more metal.

You and other smiths have my respect, barrel fitting seems so straightforward but it is such a challenge. Checking tons of things and finding out how to get the parts to fit together still seems like a mix of art and science to me.

My first gun will do 10 shot 2.5" groups at 25 yards from a rest but I know there are many who can make them do better, you guys have my respect!

GT

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wow, I forgot about this thread and my gun, it has sat for a while, but I wanted to get it together as a B-day present for myself.

Got the slide internals in (extractor, fp stop etc.), the ejector in, finished the chamber, did the ramp, and cut the dustcover back.

The bad news, the gun with all major components stacked on the scale weighs 42.4 oz. I think the minor stuff like springs, pins, hammer, and sear may put the gun over weight.

Will have to put the gun on a diet, don't want to shoot open at a match I paid a lot for.

Pics in a few.

Latest posts

Top Bottom