Official Piece of Crap 1911 Build Thread!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What kind of grips do you have? Maybe a lighter wood or plastic? What are you benchmarking for weight?

May I ask, how much money (not time) have you invested in this project?

Grips are Strider gunner grips, I really like em but they are heavy. Some have removed material from the backside for that extra little bit of weight savings. I think I'll make the SS limit of 43 oz. with a GI rod and plug. The full length stainless rod I have now is heavy. I really like the S&A, but if there is no hope I'll use a Dawson magwell.

Just off the top of my head I have 1,100 in parts there. Stuff like Koenig hammers and SV thumb safeties add up quickly.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Those parts aren't required for a build, quality parts just make it easier. The SV thumb safety is by far the easiest I have ever put on a gun. The STI on my 2011 was a royal pain to get in there. You would think that two parts from the same company would be reasonably close.

Got the grip safety on, will blend and put pics up later tonight. Just missing those darn bushings I forgot to order at this point.

Will also have to drill and tap the slide for the rear sight.

Then it'll finally be range report time.

And finally a trip to you know who for coating after any final touches get done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom