"Official" Wild Game Cooking Pic and Recipe Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it would. Pork works, too. This is the dish that chili came from. (and was probably made with all kinds of critters) What we call chili - ground meat, chili powder, etc..is just a refinement of this. I want to try it over an open fire, with some grilled cactus as well.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figured it was about the right time of year to resurrect this thread. Here are a few dove poppers with some okra from the garden.

Everyone has their own variation of dove poppers, so here's mine: Filet the meat off the breast and marinate in head country and olive oil for a few hours. Not too much BBQ, but just enough to give it a touch of flavor. While it's marinating, hollow out jalapenos from the garden and fill with cream cheese. Slice a yellow onion in small cubes as well. Skewer everything on toothpicks that have been soaking in water and wrap with bacon. (Dove breast, onion, jalapeno, dove breast, bacon wrap). Throw them on the grill on medium/hot and cook until the bacon is done.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never had grilled Okra. Gonna have to give that a try.

A little sea salt and some olive oil and you're in business! It's pretty amazing how good it tastes. I really like fried okra, and the grilled stuff tastes pretty close without all the negative health benefits.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little sea salt and some olive oil and you're in business! It's pretty amazing how good it tastes. I really like fried okra, and the grilled stuff tastes pretty close without all the negative health benefits.

I actually read about grilling Okra in our local newspaper today. Talk about timing!

I don't have any planted, but my buddy does. I'll get some from him, and give it a shot. Thanks!

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually read about grilling Okra in our local newspaper today. Talk about timing!

I don't have any planted, but my buddy does. I'll get some from him, and give it a shot. Thanks!

If you're planning to be in Tulsa anytime soon, just let me know. I'm practically picking a gallon zip loc per day.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stuffed shells with some wild boar from California(the fresh crab legs were good too).

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

1 package(s) (12-ounce) jumbo pasta shells (about 36 shells)
2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
3/4 pound(s) bulk sweet Italian sausage (I usually use spicy italian, but this time I just used boar sausage).
2 clove(s) garlic, minced
1 large egg
1 container(s) (15-ounce) whole or part-skim ricotta cheese
1 box(es) (9-ounce) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry (I use fresh spinach here instead of frozen)
3/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
4 ounce(s) fresh mozzarella, grated
1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
1 jar(s) (32-ounce) tomato sauce with basil

Directions
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add pasta shells and cook according to package instructions. Drain in a colander; rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain shells on paper towels.

Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat; Add sausage, breaking up into smaller bits with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Remove pan from heat.

Beat egg lightly in a large bowl; stir in ricotta, spinach, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, mozzarella, salt, pepper, and the cooled sausage mixture until blended. Fill pasta shells with mixture.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread 1 cup of the tomato sauce over the bottom of a 3-quart baking dish. Arrange stuffed shells in dish. Spread remaining tomato sauce over pasta shells. Cover dish with foil; bake for 30 minutes, until hot and bubbling. Remove foil; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes longer.

*Sometimes I will also slice up some pepperoni and cook it with the sausage. This dish is a crowd favorite anytime I cook it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom