OGE remotely controlling thermostat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never understood this. Why would I care what the temp is when im not there?

Couple of reasons: to make sure I'm not paying to heat/cool the house if no one is there and in the winter I would check the house temp before I left work and decide if I wanted to turn the thermostat on to warm up the house for my return.

The Nest is a really cool device plus they send you a monthly email. on your energy usage.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It IS Big Brother, look into GE and Babba's push for the 'Smart Grid', carbon footprinting, Global warming scare propaganda. "drastically reduce rates and control costs"
Baba says, "under these plans, your electric bills will be forced to at least double, probably more"

It's voluntary? Try to opt out once you are in.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Want to control your cost ................ a programmable thermostat ............ when replacing a/c unit, get the highest efficiency you can afford..........insulation ......... window and door seals .............. DO NOT GET A SMART METER.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 meter opponents arrested in Naperville: 'A society of violating one another'

[Two vocal opponents of Naperville’s initiative to install wireless electric meters on homes were arrested after interfering with the installation process, according to city officials.

Police are accompanying crews this week as they install smart meters at homes that previously sent away installers....]

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...1_meter-opponents-smart-meter-wireless-meters

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It IS Big Brother, look into GE and Babba's push for the 'Smart Grid', carbon footprinting, Global warming scare propaganda. "drastically reduce rates and control costs"
Baba says, "under these plans, your electric bills will be forced to at least double, probably more"

It's voluntary? Try to opt out once you are in.

well I'll be darn. Learn something every day.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 meter opponents arrested in Naperville: 'A society of violating one another'

[Two vocal opponents of Naperville’s initiative to install wireless electric meters on homes were arrested after interfering with the installation process, according to city officials.

Police are accompanying crews this week as they install smart meters at homes that previously sent away installers....]

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...1_meter-opponents-smart-meter-wireless-meters

If they don't want smart meters from the company that provides them with power they don't have to do business with them at all.

It's not a complicated issue.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We joined the smarthours program, and saved a bunch of money, but bought our own programmable thermostats.

I do recommend the program if anyone wants to save a some cash this Summer.

You Might save some $$$ on your electric bill, but when you have to replace your condensor/compressor because its shut down and started at the wrong time,....Well it wont be much of a saving.
Do the homework get a good programable t-stat and learn how to use....thats how you save $$$$$
(the sugestion about insulation and sealing your windows would be an XXtra bonus... ;) )

LOKNLOD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smartgrid, Smart Meters, and the "smart hours" program are all related but not exactly the same. The smart grid/smart meter stuff is coming whether we like it or not, I'm afraid. Until i'm able to generate all my own power needs, I'll have to get my juice through whatever meter they choose to use, though.

I'm on the Smart Hours program, and I do not have a remotely operated or controlled thermostat. It is programmable, but only by me (or my wife if she understood it :eek: ) My wife and kids are home all day so I don't see as much benefit as I would if I could crank up the temps a bit higher without getting complaints. I totally understand the not wanting anyone else to control your thermostat, because I feel the same way.

There is a major need to cut load during the heat of summer. It's a real issue and the smart hours program is a legit concept to try and reduce load during the hottest hours by incentivizing moving residential loads to off-peak hours through a pricing scheme. The infrastructure for generating power is aging and expanding/increasing/maintaining it is expensive and does get passed on to the customer base. Also as environmental regs and such continue to push away from coal fired generation, the increased load on natural gas supply to plants causes plenty of issues as well (which is my background).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not in the smart hours program but am somewhat of a cheap bastege when it comes to heating/cooling costs. I have a Nest thermostat and set the "auto away" function so it keeps my costs down. Love that thing. Plus I can see the temp in my house from my phone anytime I'm gone.

I never understood this. Why would I care what the temp is when im not there?

Couple of reasons: to make sure I'm not paying to heat/cool the house if no one is there and in the winter I would check the house temp before I left work and decide if I wanted to turn the thermostat on to warm up the house for my return.

The Nest is a really cool device plus they send you a monthly email. on your energy usage.

Its also a cheap burgler detector. If somebody walked by it, it will come back to life. If nobody is home, and you check it on your cell phone noticing the temp has came back up, somebody may be in your house. Crude burgler alarm.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they don't want smart meters from the company that provides them with power they don't have to do business with them at all.

It's not a complicated issue.

The ability to get your meter read wirelessly helps the utility company's keep costs down. Higher costs are passed along to the consumer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom