OGE remotely controlling thermostat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they don't want smart meters from the company that provides them with power they don't have to do business with them at all.

It's not a complicated issue.

That's right because most people have a choice in elect. providers and officials will not condemn the property if the power is shut off.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. The consumer had to agree to the terms of service or the power wouldn't be on in the first place.

2. They can install their own alternative if it's that big of an issue.

3. There is no constitutional RIGHT to electricity on our own terms.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. The consumer had to agree to the terms of service or the power wouldn't be on in the first place.

2. They can install their own alternative if it's that big of an issue.

3. There is no constitutional RIGHT to electricity on our own terms.

1. The terms of service were changed after the original agreement.

2. They cannot install their own alternative, they can be charged more if they wish to hold the company to it's original agreement.

3. Never said anything about the Constitution

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Want to control your cost ................ a programmable thermostat ............ when replacing a/c unit, get the highest efficiency you can afford..........insulation ......... window and door seals .............. DO NOT GET A SMART METER.

I agree with this. We had Thermo Windows replace all the windows and sliding doors in our old farm house and added about 2' of attic insulation. All of the other exterior doors were re-weather stripped. We keep the thermostat (the really old dial type) at 66F in winter and at 78F in summer. We are total electric in a 2650 sq ft home and our electric bill has never been over $250 even in the hottest summer months.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's more likely they didn't read the Terms of Service when they signed up.

Nearly all agreements include a clause that provides for upgrades to the infrastructure as required.

Likely even if they did read and agree to future upgrades some contend the health and privacy issues raised are beyond reasonable and should not be ignored.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2. They cannot install their own alternative, they can be charged more if they wish to hold the company to it's original agreement.
Sure you can. Go buy yourself some solar panels, or a wind generator, or even a natural gas-fired generator and tell OG&E to go stuff themselves. There's nothing that says you have to do business with them at all.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like some have said I found it best to do what I could myself to make my system work better. Installed new more efficient windows, solar screens ( I have em on our houses in California and I dont even run the AC very often when we're there because it stays so cool in the house), programmable thermostat, and then year before last when I changed out our 15 yr old heat/ac system for a new one I did my home work and got a great system for a good price. Winter our thermostat is set on 71,72 and summer 75,76 and it stays comfortable unless the kids override my programs and mess with the levels when we're gone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom