OGE smart hours

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had it a couple of years now. It does save money, if for no other reason you can run your dishwasher and clothes dryer at night when the rates are cheaper. Charging something closer to the actual cost of electricity gives you an economic incentive to shift your usage. I think it's a great free-market solution and really good use of technology.

Here's why it saves you (and the electric company) money: the newest, most efficient plants run most all the time. The older, more expensive plants get fired up only to handle peak loads (like when everybody's A/C comes on at 3 PM when it's 110 degrees outside) or to cover maintenance at other plants. Therefore, electricity is actually more expensive during peak hours. You also get the cheaper rates all day on the weekend, when a lot of industry and office buildings shut down.

You can get your house nice and cool before the peak hours hit, then coast through the peak hours with the thermostat turned back a little. This saves the electric company from having to build new plants just to cover the peak load and/or cranking up the older plants.

Not being satisfied with saving a little money, we maximize our savings by going into conservation mode when the red light comes on-- a/c off, lights and computers off, all the phantom loads unplugged. If you don't do any cooking during the peak hours, your house will keep fairly tolerable then you can crank the A/C back down at 7PM when the offpeak rates kick in. It's to my advantage that my wife is some sort of reptile who remains cool while I'm self-basting in sweat.. and most of the peak hours are while I'm gone to work :rotflmao:

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not me! We just moved into the new house. It's a big house but a green home. HERS index of 67! Gas bill this month was $12.17. That is with long showers, two shower heads in master shower. Results from the tankless hot water heater. Love that thing! However, I assume when the heat gets here our electric bill will be astronomical. Considering we have 3 separate ac units.

I'm on ONG for gas... I think I pay at least that before I even use any gas! Same with the water bill, metered usage charges are the smallest part of the bill. I could turn off my water at the street and would still have to pay most of the bill.

Talk about having zero incentive to reduce my usage... maybe I should hook a water hose to a micro-hydro turbine and power my house...

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have had it just under a month but we won't see any difference due to my work schedule. There is someone at home 24 hours a day. While my wife is at work 7:15am to 5:15pm, I'm at home sleeping. While I'm at work from 11:30pm to 8:00am my wife and kid are at home sleeping and getting ready to leave. If everyone at the residence is gone from the house between 8-5 each day, it'll work for you.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been on OG&Es residential flat rate billing for at least the last 5 years. I think I just started year 6. This is not average monthly billing. We keep a 2200 sq ft house at 66 or 67 pretty much year round with a 4 ton Rudd A/C and never set the thermostat back. My monthly electric bill is currently $205 for the next 12 months. That includes all taxes and fees and includes $12/month for our backyard security light. Same as a street light. We can use all the electricity we want and the bill is the same amount every month. I have a 25x30 shop I run a 12000 btu A/C in a lot when the weather gets hot. Every May they adjust the monthly fee for the next 12 months. So far it's gone up about $10 per month per year since they put me in this plan about 5 years ago. I can opt out of it when they adjust my rate in May every year. We have gas heat, hot water, and clothes dryer, and electric everything else. We have 2 refrigeraters running and a chest type freezer. I say fark Greenpeace. I use all the electricity I want.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work in the industry and I'm not participating. I believe its a great idea if you don't have people at home during peak hours. I have a wife and 3 kids that will be home most of the afternoons and no way I'm going to sell the turn up the thermostat during that time. If you can use the pointers on when to use most of your electricity you will see a savings on your own. The biggest push for it is to minimize demand to enable them to put off building any new powerplants til 2020.

Latest posts

Top Bottom