Oil company wanting a temporary easement on my property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 1/4 section in SE ok and they're fracking 4 wells just to the south of me. A company just called me and are wanting a temp easement on an oil road that runs diagonal across my property to put a 10" water pipe on the ground next to the road so they can bring water in from a lake a mile or so to the north. It'll only be there for a month, but it'll be right before deer season starts and they'll be out checking it 3-4 times a day. The company is offering me $750, but to me that's not really worth it to take the chance of it screwing up deer season. Any of y'all that are in the business, what would be fair compensation or what other advice do you have?

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. $750 is not near enough compensation to ruin your hunting. I would think of a realistic number that would make it worth it and counter. Just prepared for them to agree and find a new place to hunt. Maybe you should counter with what a new lease would cost you.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe, and just a MAYBE at 750 a month if the road is on the edge of the property with a clause that they have to make it back to natural or however you want it to be done afterwards. You get to decide on the route 100% and they do not make ANY deviations or they loose the contract and get off the property. Also make sure they are responsible for any trash/junk the drivers decide to throw out while on your property.

That is my opinion and they should be glad for it cause probably still cheap. Four wells will net them ten times that at least per month while the road is up after they are drilled and the road will probably stay up till everything is done.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bear in mind, that it's possible that depending on the lay of your land and the movement pattern of the deer, that if they go across your neighbor it still might screw you up. If it's complete and in place before season, I think that it may not be that big of a problem. Maybe... Deer don't necessarily leave when this stuff goes on, they may detour or change their timing of movements for awhile, but they'll definitely be around unless they get shot at.

I'm in the business, but I have no idea what they are paying for surface damages these days. Wish I could help.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. $750 is not near enough compensation to ruin your hunting. I would think of a realistic number that would make it worth it and counter. Just prepared for them to agree and find a new place to hunt. Maybe you should counter with what a new lease would cost you.

This right here!
Go find you a bad ass lease and tell them it'll cost whatever the lease costs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom