Oilfield Layoffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A "dead cat bounce" tends to stay within the lines and not exceed the 30-day moving average.

Really?

The generic meaning is when an investment is dropping, and suddenly goes back up temporily then continues its fall, as the oil price has.

And yes, it was March pricing.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the Irish comedy rock band, see Dead Cat Bounce (comedy band).
In finance, a dead cat bounce is a small, brief recovery in the price of a declining stock.[1] Derived from the idea that "even a dead cat will bounce if it falls from a great height", the phrase, which originated on Wall Street, is also popularly applied to any case where a subject experiences a brief resurgence during or following a severe decline.

Or

DEFINITION OF 'DEAD CAT BOUNCE'
A temporary recovery from a prolonged decline or bear market, followed by the continuation of the downtrend. A dead cat bounce is a small, short-lived recovery in the price of a declining security, such as a stock. Frequently, downtrends are interrupted by brief periods of recovery - or small rallies - where prices temporarily rise. This can be a result of traders or investors closing out short positions or buying on the assumption that the security has reached a bottom. A dead cat bounce is a price pattern that is usually identified in hindsight. Analysts may attempt to predict that the recovery will be only temporary by using certain technical and fundamental analysis tools.

INVESTOPEDIA EXPLAINS 'DEAD CAT BOUNCE'
A dead cat bounce is a price pattern used by technical analysts. It is considered a continuation pattern, where at first the bounce may appear to be a reversal of the prevailing trend, but is quickly followed by a continuation of the downward price move. It becomes a dead cat bounce (and not a reversal) after price drops below its prior low. Short-term traders may attempt to profit from the small rally, and traders and investors alike may try to use the temporary reversal as a good opportunity to initiate a short position.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went from a Completions Foreman to a pumper back in December. Took almost a 50% pay cut. Luckily they kept me around. Laid off our entire drilling department, all non essential office personnel, production engineer, we are operating on the absolute minimum number of employees possible. Hopefully this doesn't last too long.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went from a Completions Foreman to a pumper back in December. Took almost a 50% pay cut. Luckily they kept me around. Laid off our entire drilling department, all non essential office personnel, production engineer, we are operating on the absolute minimum number of employees possible. Hopefully this doesn't last too long.

Pumping is not a bad job. It is about the only way I would go back into the patch again.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pumping is not a bad job. It is about the only way I would go back into the patch again.
It's not a bad job, super boring. And easy. I am hourly now, which is strange to me. I haven't depended on the clock for my paycheck since I got in the oil field. Always been on salary. It is gonna take some getting use to, but like I said, at least I still have a job.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Schlumberger in Ponca laid off some today. One guy with 26 years....out the door. They have laid off 9000 world wide. focusing on senior employees in a lot of instances.

Latest posts

Top Bottom