OK ID no longer suitable for getting on planes or into federal buildings...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is not true, not even close. The constitution is still in effect, and it states clearly that unless a law is specifically lined out in the constitution through an amendment, then state law takes precedent. It doesn't always work out that way, but that is gist of it.
It hasn't worked that way since the SCOTUS screwed us in their misbegotten decision in Wickard v. Filburn. The Feds can do whatever they damn well please under the Elastic Clause, and there's not a damned thing the states can do about it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is funny that they are worried about the OK DL being faked, but I have not ever seen a "good" fake OK DL.
There were some really good fake OKDLs back in the late '80s or early '90s--some enterprising young person walked into a tag agency and stole a bunch of real DL backs and commenced to making fake IDs with them. There was, basically, no way to tell them from the real thing because they were the real thing.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Um, why can't the feds set the rules for who can and cannot enter into federally controlled areas? Doesn't the FAA and other alphabet soup agencies govern the airline industry in terms of who can and cannot fly? Other than control of the airports, which is a state/local issue, hasn't regulation of flight always been a federal issue?

It seems like this ruling, which i personally disagree with, just sets out the requirements for accessing federally controlled areas. If the feds stated that you must show two forms of ID to fly, would we be angry that they are violating 'states rights'?

The Feds control what they want. Prisons, border enforcement(or lack thereof), schools, etc...States have no rights, and are no longer sovereign. If you have to go to some higher authority to get a ruling, and that ruling is from the entity you wish to assert independence from, well guess what.....

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Um, why can't the feds set the rules for who can and cannot enter into federally controlled areas? Doesn't the FAA and other alphabet soup agencies govern the airline industry in terms of who can and cannot fly? Other than control of the airports, which is a state/local issue, hasn't regulation of flight always been a federal issue?

It seems like this ruling, which i personally disagree with, just sets out the requirements for accessing federally controlled areas. If the feds stated that you must show two forms of ID to fly, would we be angry that they are violating 'states rights'?

Irrelevant. As I stated, all that matters is who blinks next. We are NOT the only state that passed laws barring compliance with RealID. It caused the feds to extend the deadline for compliance significantly and rename the initiative, in order to disguise the program from the associated stigma.

Saying that the feds will simply turn off the flight privileges of several states without considering the ramifications to the transportation security system, would be foolish indeed.

They will either work out a compromise or they'll extend the deadline for compliance, indefinitely if necessary.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been wondering about this.

What about the State Issued ID card? Will that work instead of the driver's license?

What about all the Federal Employees who work in Federal Buildings and on Federal Property (like Fort Sill, Altus, Tinker)?
Will their state driver's license no longer be able to get them onto the property to work?

Will this prevent me from going and voting in a Federal Election?

Will this void all ID and Passes issued at airports, etc that were verified with an Oklahoma Driver's License?

So many questions.

It would seem like an interesting point of "civil disobedience" if you couldn't use the ID to enter Federal Property and everyone that was essential just milled around outside the doors and "gates" in a huge mob for a few days. Then, when the Federal business didn't get accomplished, maybe something would change. I doubt it.

Imagine the news media storm that could be generated if enough people were standing outside election areas on a Federal Election and were denied entrance because of their State Issued ID.

Dave

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Irrelevant. As I stated, all that matters is who blinks next. We are NOT the only state that passed laws barring compliance with RealID. It caused the feds to extend the deadline for compliance significantly and rename the initiative, in order to disguise the program from the associated stigma.

Saying that the feds will simply turn off the flight privileges of several states without considering the ramifications to the transportation security system, would be foolish indeed.

They will either work out a compromise or they'll extend the deadline for compliance, indefinitely if necessary.

I agree that your assessment is likely correct. I was merely seeking clarification as to why this was a 'state's rights' issue in the way the OP implied. The requirements to fly have never been left to each state as far as i know, so why would this issue be any different. Yes, the feds are leveraging States to comply, (which i do disagree with) but they've done it for lots of other issues in the past (such as the drinking age and federal highway funds). The ruling wouldn't invalidate Oklahoma's ID, but would say that it doesn't meet the criteria to enter federally controlled areas.

If we're going to get worked up about something, lets at least get worked up about the correct thing.

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if the feds do start feeling their Wheaties, I'm sure they'll be knocking on the airlines' doors with a fat sack of taxpayer bail-out money. Again.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about all the Federal Employees who work in Federal Buildings and on Federal Property (like Fort Sill, Altus, Tinker)?
Will their state driver's license no longer be able to get them onto the property to work?
It already won't get you on a military base, regardless of the state of issue. Civilian employees and military members all carry what's called a Common Access Card (CAC) that is the ID and access card for the military's computer systems. I bet it's the same for most federal employees who work off base in a semi-secure location. Basically, civilian employees who work on base already have a federal ID with a ton of their info stored on the encrypted chip within the card.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just get the damn chip implants installed in us all now.

www.silverkgallery.com.au_Futurama_ImplantChip.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom