Okie rules on steel core

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, just picked up a bunch of milsurp .308 that I think is Yugo flavor.

The projectiles are all steel core. I'm in Blanchard and I think I read the rules for Lexington WMA is no steel core or AP ??

What is the general consensus on steel core and AP in Oklahoma?

Mike
Dont ask, Dont tell! Dont bring attention to it and it wont be an issue.

glassparman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good info.

Sorry, I should have said 7.62, not .308. Same caliber, different pressures.

I have a lot of steel core stuff from overseas. This particular ammo is labeled as 7.62 but no NATO specification because it is Berdan primed. Shoots good either way.

I looked up the headstamp.

IK = Igman Zavod, Konjic, Yugoslavia

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you dissected a round to be certain it has a steel core? A lot of the Greek .30 M2 reacted to a magnet but it was determined to just be a copper washed mild steel jacket over a lead core. Even if not NATO headstamped a 7.62 marked round should have some painted tip indicator of being anything other than a standard ball round.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it would be real rare being steel core like Leemozoid said. Most likely a mild steel jacket with copper plating. That is real common with M-80 ball type ammo and even Winchester White box 308 is a steel jacket with copper plating or wash!

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it would be real rare being steel core like Leemozoid said. Most likely a mild steel jacket with copper plating. That is real common with M-80 ball type ammo and even Winchester White box 308 is a steel jacket with copper plating or wash!
thats what i was thinking ,,if it really steel core 308 its worth saving..

Latest posts

Top Bottom